Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

how do i know if i need inpatient or partial hospitalization treatment?
karenmac1978 posted:
About me:
I am a 35 year old mother of 3. My oldest is a special needs kid who is medically fragile. My mom lives with us. I spent a week in an inpatient facility for prescription drug abuse (tramadol, xanax, fioricet). Now my mom accuses me of being "high" all the time. I do take Fioricet for migraines. I see a Psychiatrist and a therapist, I am prescribed Lexapro 20 and Buspar 10 (twice daily). My mom is of the thought that I shouldn't need ANY medications. I ran out of my Lexapro a month ago and had to miss 2 appts (once for being in the hospital for emergency surgery and once I just forgot) I am super sad, cry all the time, I can't take my mom, sister, niece, and everyone telling me that my kids deserve better or that I am lying about not taking anything or being high. I just cry all the time. I feel soooo tired, have trouble waking in the morning, have trouble falling asleep at night and am just so depressed. I have shortness of breath also, so possibly anxiety issues or panic? I don't know if inpatient is better due to the fact that most of my issues come from my mom or others accusing me of things. I care so much about what others think of me, and am doubting myself whether or not I am a good mom to my girls. I can't afford to take them on vacation like my sister could. I just don't know how much more I can take, ya know? Like I said, my mom thinks I shouldn't need any meds, and have no reasons to be depressed or stressed or what ever, and my headaches aren't migraines or stress. I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! Please advise!

sincereone74 responded:
I'm sorry that you are going through such a rough time, you are not alone. As far as if you should go in for inpatient or partial hospitalization I think you should go in and get a intake evaluation done and allow the doctor to decide or help you decide which form of treatment will be best for you right now.

If you ran out of lexapro a month ago I think it's important that you get in right away to get back on your medication. I have been both inpatient and I have been in partial hospitalization, since the hospital has both programs usually when I go in and if I'm not a threat to myself or anyone else they talk to me about my options and which one they think is best and why. I think you need to get that professional support and professional opinion and get back on your meds so you can start feeling better again.

I also care a lot about what others think of me and it can really hurt when someone puts you down or says something hurtful to you and I know what it's like to doubt if you are a good Mom.

It's easy for someone to say there's no reason for you to be depressed and sometimes depression is not always a result of trauma or something that is happening sometimes it's a chemical imbalance that we cannot control.

I also take meds for migraines a daily preventative and one for when I get a migraine. I see a psychiatrist and a therapist also. I don't have any family in my life so I don't know what it's like to have to live with family that is stressing you out but I do know how bad words can hurt and how bad they can tear you down.

You are not alone in how you are feeling. Please go in for an assessment so the doctor can determine which treatment will be better for you right now. I hope that you are feeling a little better.

paytonh responded:
Hello,

I know the feeling of having family telling me such things. A few explanations could be they are scared, worried or even jealous!

It seems counterintuitive, but if you are having mental issues it's not your fault. I recently came to the realization that the narcissism, alcoholism, and bipolar tendencies that runs rampant amongst my family members is part of my own problem. They don't want to believe it either. Because they always believe themselves to be right, I must be wrong. I know I am not wrong, but it is still something I struggle with. I am constantly second guessing myself and considering myself a hypochondriac.

But I am NOT. And if you believe in your heart that there is something wrong with you to the point it feels like you are a burden and a failure because of it, there probably is. You are not alone and even though I don't know you and you don't know me, I love you for what and who you are. No one is perfect, so don't think that a lapse in judgement is reason for others to mistreat and distrust you. You need people to help, not hurt. If they don't want to acknowledge that, you need to find a therapist who will listen without judgement.

riversw replied to paytonh's response:
Exactly! My family is the same way - I was living with my mom and my autistic son. I finally just told her to leave. I was trying so hard to help my son and myself and she refused to help either of us. According to her, I wouldn't be so depressed if I weren't so selfish!

Your kids will understand - if not now, one day. But, if you have anyone else around you who treats you this way - it's not just that they're not helping you - they're making things worse!

Go get some help from people who know and your family can either accept it and work with you or you just have to learn not to take what they think to heart.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.