Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Newly diagnosed (read: admitted to) Bipolar Disorder
riversw posted:
And I'm clueless. I feel like everywhere I've reached out for some support I either never hear from them or get put on a waiting list. I'm terrified and I feel like I don't have anyone to talk to about this.

momuv4girls responded:
Support is really important, and I'd urge you to look into these 2-wonderful organizations for in-person groups.

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=peer_support_group_locator

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Your_Local_NAMI&Template=/CustomSource/AffiliateFinder.cfm

I live in a fairly small town, and I have found great support with NAMI. Also, a lot of local churches may have evening support groups for Bipolar and related ........

Take care!
-Kathleen

riversw replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you. Those are good resources, but those are the people I can't get in touch with. I've gotten no response from the DBSA group here and other local groups are "for patients only" or wait-listed. I don't know what else to try but something online. Any chatroom I've found so far is useless. I'm just trying to navigate to something a little focused and helpful, like - hopefully - this forum.

I'll try those places again - I know you have to be persistent. I'm just struggling through the second month of depression and med changes and it's hard to accomplish anything.

Thank you for responding. I feel more like giving it another try!

momuv4girls replied to riversw's response:
You're so very welcome, and I'm glad to hear you'll keep trying to get in touch with the support groups again.

Have you called NAMI, or gone into their office?

I am pretty good at locating resources, if you write back with your city/state of residence, I can take a look online and see if I can find any other options for you.

: )
Kathleen

You're so sweet! I live just outside of Asheville, NC. It does seem like there are a lot of resources around here, but I'm just not connecting. I guess I'm going to have to scout out a babysitter somewhere and just show up at a meeting. I HATE the thought of that, but... gotta do whatcha gotta do.

momuv4girls replied to riversw's response:
Hello again,

Yes, just going to a meeting may be your best bet. I know that can feel very uncomfortable, but hopefully after your first meeting, the next one should be a bit easier......and easier.

I will paste some links for you to explore and maybe one will work out for you.
It feels so good to connect with others who "get it" - I really urge you to go.
http://magneticminds.weebly.com/meetings.html

Here is info. on a group, they only have a phone # - no website:
Magnetic Minds Magnetic Minds is a support group for those who have been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder or Depression, and their loved ones. The meetings are held every Wednesday from 7-9 pm.
1314-F Patton Ave.
828-318-9179

Here is a list of many types of different support groups:
http://www.ashevillenow.com/directory/recovery-and-support-groups/

Take care!!!!
-Kathleen

samething responded:
You hit on the head for me. I reach out everyday to someone and never get called back, no one knows how it feels to be so alone in this.

riversw replied to samething's response:
THANK you! What gives?? But, if nothing else, at least I've been able to talk to you guys!

I do know how it feels being alone in this, believe me. If you want to talk, let me know. I'll be happy to send you my email address or chat online.

Hang in there.

The Magnetic Minds group is the very one that won't respond to me! That's the one I suppose I'll just have to show up at. I'll take a look at the other link - hopefully there's something on it I haven't hit up yet!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. You've done a lot more than many people I'm close to have. Sad as that is...

Much love!
S

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

safe AD to take with tramadol.
my doctor just put me on tramadol and i take cymbalta. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.