treatment resistant depression
meems165 posted:
I have had panic and depression off and on for the past 33 years and am at my wits end/ Most anti-depressant drugs work for awhile and I need the highest dose available but that is even true with novacaine for dental work. It seems that since I was diagnosed with breast cancer 9 years ago I haven't been the same. I know how lucky I am to be a survivor and am extremely grateful for that but still feel like I am carrying a cloud around with me. My shrink doesn't seem to care and I have to give him suggestions he usually follows which doesn't seem to faze him. Is this the way it is supposed to be with psychiatrists? There aren't many others around here so I don't know what to do and I am tired of taking pills and don't need shock treatments. Help!

Babsi

wall_flowers responded:
I wouldn't really consider your depression "treatment resistant,"
It's actually very common that an anti-depressant works for a short time before brain renders an ''immunity'' towards it. I think that you should consider new psychiatrist, or tell yours how you're feeling. There are several other treatments available than just anti-depressants... I suggest researching some more and seeing if you can find anything that sounds helpful... However, in my opinion, I don't believe that severe depression is ''treatable'' or ''curable.'' Because you mentioned breast-cancer it's assumable that yours could be situational. --best of luck

whatsupbuttercup responded:
With therapy in general, a lot of it can be patient driven. This usually means though that the client will say what issues they would like to focus on, and the therapist or psych will offer suggestions for how to fix it. Ultimately though, the client must be ready to do the work to heal with guidance and support from their psych. This being said, it seems like your psychiatrist isn't meeting your needs. Is it possible to find a new one?

Have you done other calming techniques such as meditation and yoga? I find yoga very helpful when I'm depressed. It's a gentle way to focus on my breathing and how my body feels, and also get some physical exercise. Worth a shot if you haven't tried already!

Also, a grief counsellor may be more effective for you!

meems165 replied to wall_flowers's response:
I didn't realize I had responses to this post because I wasn't sure how the site works. Duh! Thank you for your response, it is nice to hear from someone who doesn't think this is a choice I made. I just wonder how much is biological and emotional. I did change shrinks and am going to a counselor who can prescribe drugs but I have to see their psychiatrist first which is fine with me. But I am also going to a support groups that is through the hospital where the new shrink is. The group[ has taught me I have SOME control over my feelings and it seems I am only depressed when I am home. Admittedly, my living situation is far from ideal but it will not change and somehow I have to learn to accept t. Now, my husband has been ill and he has a tumor on his bladder that we are waiting for result in. I am fighting the urge to 'awfulize' and sometimes I am even successful. I will hang in there and take one day at a time and see what this new shrink has to say. Thanks for response.

Babsie

meems165 replied to whatsupbuttercup's response:
Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't realize I had a response until today because I am not sure how this site works. I agree that the client has to be willing to work at getting better but I had a tendency to sit around and wait for pill to kick in which I now realize is a big mistake. I have changed psychiatrists and joined a support group and have discovered using the tools I have been given really does work and I am capable of much more than I had been doing. I will continue to work at it and feel hopeful someday depression will end or at least abate. I will be posting to this site more now that I realize I can. Thanks again

Babsie