Skip to content


Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

depression in young adult son
An_257712 posted:
Our son refuses to take medication but is extremely depressed due to not being employed and having very few friends. He has almost given up on life and even refuses to brush his teeth or bathe. He just does not care. What is a parent to do as he is over 21?
momuv4girls responded:
I highly urge you to look into your local NAMI for support and/or

They offer support for you - and your son. I would start out going yourself and talk to others who understand and have been there who can give good advice.
Here is a link to find local support:

If your son has a therapist, you could also talk to the therapist about ideas and options.

Take care, and I hope your son feels better soon!!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.