Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Is this from Depression? REALLY Need help!!
pompeii16 posted:
On July 13th school ended and I started having stomach problems.
My symptoms:
Mornings I have gas and soft stool or diarrhea. Sometimes it goes away with medicine or drinking tea like a strong black tea or chamomile. But some days it doesn't so I have to keep taking medicine. There's no pain. I go to bed at midnight and wake up at around 7:30 or 8 but It takes me forever to fall asleep. I toss and turn to try to sleep but I can't. When I finally sleep, I wake up about 2 or 3 times a night. For school I would go to bed at 10 fall asleep relatively quick. Rarely woke up. Sometimes I'm tired but I just can't sleep now. I keep losing weight because I have no appetite. I tend to lay down all day because I don't feel like doing anything. I completely lack emotion as well. I feel I have to force it out. I rarely feel the constant happiness and joy with the little things and everything anymore. I'm thinking this could be from stress. I'm a Junior in high school now. I haven't started school yet but I am taking AP classes so I have a summer assignment to do and I have to volunteer. My life at home is pretty simple not much stress. In May I did have to go to court after finally coming forward about a student touching me sexually and harassing me sexually at school. It went on for quite a while. Don't worry, he was found guilty. I don't really think about it much anymore but for a while I was extremely depressed over it. Depression came and went. I actually came forward in March but court wasn't till May. Sometimes I have flashbacks but I quickly try to put the memories out of my mind. Sometimes I worry about seeing him in public or when school returns. But right now all I worry about anymore is this Morning gas and diarrhea that sometimes continues throughout the day.

rohvannyn responded:
I think you are right, that really does sound like stress. It could be worry about the AP classes, worry left over from the court case (that can take a loooong time to go away), worry about the coming school year, or even stress from either being too busy or not busy enough. But stress can affect your body in exactly the ways you are describing.

The solution, if you don't have another medical issue (even if you do this wil help) is to do something that reduces stress like meditation, get quality rest, drink enough water, and eat right. When you have a flackback, breathe deeply and slowly, don't try to put it out of your mind, but say to yourself "that was then, this is now." If you try to push intrusive thoughts out your mind they will get stronger. The best way is to accept them then gently remind yourself that the situation is now different. They lose power that way.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
could be stress, anxiety, depression or all. Suggest you see your general doctor and given your age group suggest you ask him to be referred to a psychology for a more formal evaluation and possibly psychotherapy. this may be best and most accurate way to figure out what has happened////

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.