Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
NO INSURANCE NO MEDS....
An_258297 posted:
I've been on an anti-depressant (Wellbutrin) for the passed few years straight (on/off since 2002), I lost my job, moved, have no insurance so I take my last pill tomorrow, scared. Welfare only gives medical care to women if we have a kid or are pregnant, a category I don't fit into so I get screwed over. I don't understand that rule, I don't have a child so I don't deserve medical attention? Nice, so I've been weening myself from the med., but it isn't going so well. I am crying almost daily, all of my severe depression symptoms are coming back and I hate it. I don't wanna do anything, or talk to anyone, makes it more difficult to find a job too. I've also been taking an anti-anxiety med. as I suffer from PTSD. That med. will be out soon too, is there anything I can do? I have no money so I can't get ObamaCare either. I'm trying to do positive things and talk and think positively, but it is very difficult considering one of the reasons why I am depressed is because I don't have a child, and that's the reason I can't get help either. I am lost, can't concentrate, don't finish anything, etc., everything is suffering, my relationship, my pets, my house, ANYONE have any suggestions?? I would sooooo appreciate it.

rohvannyn responded:
Do you still have a valid prescription with refills? If not, ask your doctor's office if they can at least give you one last refill.

Check around at your local pharmacies to see if Bupropion (the generic for wellbutrin) is on any of their discount generic lists. Walgreens, Wal-mart, Safeway, Kroger, places like that often have ten dollar generics discount plans or four dollar generic discount plans, where a certain list of medications is offered for a low price even without insurance. Check around.

Failing that, contact the manufacturer of Wellbutrin and see if they offer any copay cards or discounts. Here's their info:

GlaxoSmithKline
888-825-5249
http://www.gsk.com

An_258297 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Wow, thank you so much for caring rohvannyn, I very much appreciate it. I wasn't aware I could still get it filled w/out a script. My doctor wasn't very helpful for me, he wouldn't give me a refill of anything unless I went in for an office visit! Now that I live 150 miles from his office, a little hard to do, and he won't call it in for me (rude an very uncaring I thought). I will be using this info you gave me, thank you ever so much.

rohvannyn replied to An_258297's response:
Unfortunately, you are still stuck if you don't have a prescription. I said you could fill prescriptions without insurance, but if your doctor won't budge then that still leaves you with few options. That's why I asked what I did in my first paragraph. Sorry you are in this bind!

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
yes, tough call. walmart and target have $4 antidepressants and a reasonable variety of them... problem is you need a doctor to see you and write the prescriptions...

you can try finding doctors who will see you for cash but on a reduced scale based on income..? you may need to call around.

In NY, if your income is less than a certain amount you get medicaid, get paid slightly higher there are other NY plans. So not sure if you have gone to the county and the state social services group (maybe that is where you have gotten your info)?

mobee622 replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
I thank you and previous writer for your concerns and suggestions. In PA, state medicaid/medical coverage doesn't apply to me as I am a Childless female (so I don't matter I guess), and coverage isn't available for me because of that. I also unfortunately do not have a caring/understanding doctor (who also is located over 100 miles away) that would call in the script for me. I am now going it alone, feeling awful and crying daily...guess that's how the world wants it, and I cannot do a damn thing until I get a job and have medical coverage. I'm hopeful as I am into the 3rd set of interviews for a F/T job that will provide this coverage. It is very very hard on me, I am doing my best not to shut down or worse, thank goodness for my fiancee and my family, I have someone to talk to. This is just a huge overwhelming feeling that I fight off daily. Thank you for your help and concern.

zophy replied to mobee622's response:
You stated you are in PA, as am I. My pharmacy (Giant Eagle) applies a discount to my Wellbutrin (generic)prescription every time I have it filled. On the receipt it says PA RX discount. It takes the cost of my medication from over $100, to about $20 - I, also, do not have prescription insurance (Rather I do, but it has a $1500 deductible, so it's kinda like not having insurance at all.) You may want to do a web search for PA RX discount for more info. I have been meaning to, but haven't had time. I know you're still left without a prescription, but if you do get one, myabe this info will be helpful
Don't let a suitcase full of cheese be your big fork and spoon.

great4365scott responded:
Some towns have free clinics. Anderson, South Carolina has one. They may be listed in the yellow pages or you could do a search on google. Some churches may know of what you need and who to see. Ask around and take care.

mikegianna responded:
I've been depressed but don't have to take any meds; however I do know what it's like to have no money and it seems there is no help in sight. As far as the meds go, do what rohvannyn suggested; better yet (since you didn't mention where you're living now) lookup Henderson Behavioral Health Services (www.hendersonbehavioralhealth.org ), get an appt. there ASAP, get your previous doctor to send your file to them including the medications you need to be on, and look up any local community/free clinics in your area. I hope this helps, or better yet go to a hospital and see what they can do for you without checking you in, and maybe see if they can give you something to tide you over until your Henderson appt.
In regards to the ACA-I have been there and this is what you can do to avoid the IRS fine: go to www.HealthCare.gov/hardshipexemption , print out all pages, fill it out completely (there is one page you may need to print more depending on the number of hardships apply to you), send it certified, and stay on it and make sure you get an application number!! Once you have the application number, then you won't have to worry about the fine.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

rohvannyn
You are special. I just want to let you know what a wonderful person you are. You give great advice. You're a very giving person...and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.