Zoloft vs. Effexor XR
wifemomgrandma posted:
I have been on Zoloft for about 15 years and didn't think it was helping anymore so quit taking it. After a few months I decided I needed to be on something and went to the doctor. He suggested Effexor XR. I have read the posts regarding this medication and am now too scared to take it. Wondering if I would be better off going back on the Zoloft and just maybe increasing the dose as I was only taking 50 mg. I realize I need to talk to my doctor but wondering if anyone here has any advice.

beana22 responded:
well I have been taking zoloft for about 2 years now I started out taking only 50 but it was not helping so I talked to my doctor and they raised the does to 150 and if that dose not work they will raise it 200 but the 150 i can feel a big change then when I was taking 50 I suggest that you higher your dose of zoloft it will most likely help you if you take the right amount

EScott777 responded:
I haven't taken Zoloft before, but was on Effexor XR for a year. Once you are taking the Effexor it seems fine as long as you stay on it. The only issues I had were times when I didn't get it refilled in time, and then went a couple of days without it while waiting for the pharmacy to refill. Headaches, anxiety- those were the big side effects when weaning/missing a couple doses.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, WMG --

i've been on effexor XR for years and have never had any side effects from it.

many people never have side effects from any med. i would not refuse to try one just because i was afraid of side effects. if you start with the effexor XR and you do suffer from side effects, you can stop taking it; however, be sure that your dr helps you to wean yourself off it very gradually to avoid an extremely unpleasant experience.

please write back to let us know how you are doing.

-- susie margaret