Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

How do loved ones coop with depression?
stinger32211 posted:
I am the loved one of someone that has depression issues and i try to support them but it is hard when i do not fully understand it myself. How would someone in my position learn more about depression and be able to assist my loved one thur their episodes?

Cjf86 responded:
Hi stinger it is really nice to hear that you are interested in help your SO. Just becuase I suffer from depression and my BF at the time got so frusturated with me he decided to end the relatioship. Well I would suggest for you just to listen to them. Take their feelings into considration. I mean if you think it is hurting them it probably worse. We go through so many emotions and just having someone listening to you and be understanding is the best thing. Confort them in anyway that you can. Let them know that you are there to listen and support them in whatever way you can.

stinger32211 replied to Cjf86's response:
Thank you for this input. I am here for her and the main issue with her depression is the fact that her EX-husband was never there for her and now he is trying to keep their kids away from her. She constantly tells me that I make her happy but there are those times when she will shut down and not want to talk. What do I do in this case, because I want to have that open communication with her to discuss all of this.

ria65 replied to stinger32211's response:
If she really has depression than the main issue is NOT her ex-husband. While external issues can trigger clinical depression and certainly make a person fell worse, the internal chemical and biological issues of her depression need to be controlled. You didn't mention if she is taking medication to help deal with her depressed feelings. It's great that you are there to listen to her and you sound very compassionate, your SO cause also get help by speaking to a trained therapist. You could encourage that or encourage her to see a psychiatrist for medication that could help. Realize that sometimes it's nice to be with someone and not have to talk about feelings. You could be someone that takes her mind away from her everyday struggles and just sits with her and maybe watches TV or reads a book.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Stinger,

It's really great that you are intent on supporting your loved one.

The following WebMD articles may be of help to you:

When a Loved One Has Depression

Helping a Depressed Loved One

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Knowing what to do with Revenge thoughts
I still have angry thoughts of many girls- probably about 50 of them who looked me down. I feel like they have ruined me and sometimes ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.