Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Delirium? Please read..
jessiehofstra posted:
I've been struggling with some sort of delirium for the past five months.

Some background info: I'm an 18 year old female, last March I began taking low doses of prozac and buspar daily, and they seemed to correct most of my depression and anxiety issues. Over the months of June and July I'd been experimenting with marijuana a few times a week and haven't since August 8th. I experienced a minor traumatic change in my life towards the end of August, which caused my depression and anxiety to rise again. Some time in October I suddenly fell into this crazy state of delirium. I stopped taking my medications in January and the "dreamy thing" hasn't slowed down.

For the first few weeks I was terrified. I'd wake up from a nap or night's sleep and feel the same as I did while I was dreaming, and would immediately panic, and knowing that made it very difficult to ever get to bed. But now it's a constant general feeling of semi-consciousness. I feel as though right now I'm in the lowest state of consciousness I could imagine. I feel like my body is doing and saying things but they're just recycled things that I remember doing at one point or another, and my favorite parts of my mind are shut off. I can't find the "on" switch. It's negatively affected my social life, romantic life, school work, etc. Lately I've found that I've been going hours without speaking during one-on-one hangouts, but it isn't me noticing it, it's my peers. At the beginning of this I didn't notice a change in my behavior, but now I'm beginning to.

I feel like this has made my quality of life so low, and it's terrifying me because I don't know why it began or when it's going to go away, or even how to handle it. I really want some answers and my general counselor can't help me at all. I'm not sure who to go to for a potential case of delirium since I've read that it's commonly found in only the elderly, if that's even what's going on in my mind. If you or anyone you know could talk to me via email about it, I would be so grateful.

I just want to know what's going on.

ria65 responded:
Most likely you stopped taking your meds too quickly but also that you need meds. Your delirium sounds more like being unable to focus, ruminations, etc.

First thing, go see a quailfied psychiatrist. Not a therapist, not your general doctor, but an actual MD psychiatrist who can accurately diagnose and treat mental illness. Sometimes depression can get so bad you experience psychosis. Or maybe you have schitzophrenia. Whatever the diagnosis, a pychiastric will be the best place to start discovering what treatments are best for you. And BTW, marijuana is just going to make things worse for you. It messes with the chemistry of your brain and will mess with medication when you start taking it again. It will make you more depressed than you already are.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.