Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

nortriptalyne anyone?AAi
Steve_jj posted:
I am on 75mg of nortriptalyne and have done away with wellbutrin and cut Pristiq in half, to 50mg....

I have read that the avg dose is more like 100-150 mg and was curious to hear from anyone that has tried this drug

I seem to be dragging less since my dr upped the dose but still don't have nearly enough energy...

Thanks for reading

Steve

ragu1 responded:
I was on the same amount and was told to take at bedtime, still left me very tired so it was discontinued and changed to 150 mg of wellbutrin 3 times per day, seems to be helping

Steve_jj replied to ragu1's response:
Thanx for the reply...I'm gonna give it a bit longer and see...

Wellbutrin worked great for me for a LONG time. I hope u do well on it.

Take care,

Steve

area25 responded:
I am currently taking emsam 12mg for treatment resistant depression. Through research, I have learned nortriptalyne is excellent for trd. Are you still taking it? I hope it it is still working for you.I have absolutly no energy and emsam does not help. Please let me know thanks robin

susiemargaret responded:
hello, steve --

i wasn't sure from your post whether you wre inquiring about the dosage for nortriptyline or pristiq, so i looked up both.

the customary dosage for nortriptyline is 25 to 150 mg per day in divided doses or, alternatively, the daily total once per day.

for pristiq, the customary dosage is 50 mg once daily. clinical studies have showed that doses of 50-400 mg per day are effective but that there was no additional benefit and that adverse effects were more frequent at higher doses. pristiq should be taken at approx the same time each day.

you need to tell your dr that your energy level is still not what you want it to be.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

jazz1910 responded:
For me it was just like taking speed and a downer together. My heart was racing a lot. From a resting heart rate of 60 beats before I took it to 100 beats after I took it. Yet I still felt sedated. I know that sounds bizarre but it is true. There were many other horrible side effects as well. Absolutely awful for me. Horrendous. I can't say enough bad things about this drug.

DDDGuy509 replied to jazz1910's response:
I was on it after trying Celexa, and didn't like it. I also had a fast heartbeat when I took it at night. Plus its a cousin to Elavil ( Amilitriptyline) so that means your sensitive to light as well. I didn't much care for it..Didn't help with sleep at all, course I jumped from Celexa to it per my Dr.

Steve_jj responded:
Thank you all for your replies. I have been switched to Celexa 40mg once/day so we'll see how that goes. I hope everyone is well!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
102 of 140 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.