Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Lost
pinkjellorules posted:
I've struggled with anxiety disorder/panic disorder since my teen years (I'm 24 now) but lately it's been complete depression...I honestly have no idea what to do I don't even know what to type. I'm just numb and blank inside.

pole1972 responded:
Are you taking any meds?? Im 37 and I have struggled with severe anxiety for about 7-10 years. I have been on ativan, which helps but can be extremely adictive, which I didnt like. So my doc tried a few others. Well finally abou 6 months ago I told my doc.that my anciety is too extreme. He said onlyabout 1 percent or so people have a much more difficult time and finding the right meds.(So basically Im one of the 1 pecent) I did research and found they make a Xanax XR and it continues to work longer. The regular Xanax and ativan have a short half life. So The Xanax Xr has worked great. So maybe you could talk to your doctor and see if it will help. My anxiety was way off the chart and this medicine has really helped. I still struggle sometimes but not like before I started Xanax Xr. I wish you well and please talk to your doctor or someone that may be able to help you.

pinkjellorules replied to pole1972's response:
Okay thanks ill bring that up to her. Right now I'm on a whole slew of medications, Celexa, Depakote, and Clonazepam two of which I take twice daily.

kindnesshelps replied to pinkjellorules's response:
I take ativan for my anxiety when it gets really bad. I have severe depression so am on 4 antidepressants as well.

Something that really helped me learn to deal with my anxiety was getting into therapy and learning things I could do to cope with it. It's taken time to be able to successfully use the techniques I learned there, in my depression and anxiety my memory doesn't work for squat.

But things like learning a relaxation technique, like a mini-meditation, is good unless I'm near panic. I do it every night to help myself relax enough to be able to fall asleep. And when I wake up in the night, I do it again so I can get back to sleep.

And learning to use my thinking brain to overcome and soothe my emotions has been really good too, it takes practice but can really make a difference for me. Like learning how to talk myself down from high anxiety to something more manageable.

Having depression on top of it all is so very hard. When I feel numb and empty inside is when it's pretty bad. It's like being dead to life. I am a shell of a person, detatched and indifferent to what's around me. Nothing seems to touch me, not pain, not heartache, not laughter, not tears.

But this does pass, and sometimes the only thing to do for it is wait till it passes. Then you can get back on track again and be active in your own life again.

An_203213 replied to kindnesshelps's response:
I have been suffering from depression and anxiety since childhood, basically. For the longest time the symptoms became dormant and I thought that I had finally "out grew" it in my teens, however when my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer when I was 28 my symptoms resurfaced with me sitting in an ER not being able to breathe and I couldn't stop crying or relax. I became tachycardic and I was given Ativan. The next day I went straight to the therapist. Now I am 39 years old and I still struggle with it from time to time. Now I take a Xanax, the smallest dose, and it usually does the job and I find that I don't need to take it every day. I only take it when I'm going through very stressful times in my life, i.e. right now I'm living with a host of medical issues that are a little overwhelming at the moment. What I've learned most from my experiences is not to sit and worry about it because it will make you feel worse believe it or not. Talk to somebody you trust. Talking it out is sometimes the best medicine. I have on ocassion had to force myself to go outside to exercise but it works. Pet therapy works real well. I know my dog is my life saver sometimes and there is nothing I wouldn't do for her.I know that I'm going to have this for the rest of my life and knowing what to do with the symptoms as they occur makes them less severe and easier to manage. I know I'm going to be o.k.

kindnesshelps replied to An_203213's response:
Anon, you sound like you have a really good handle on how to manage your symptoms, and a clear perspective on your illness as a whole. You have inspired me today. Thank you!

Tallking about what's happening really makes things more manageable for me, it's just hard to find a place to unburden myself since I've had long and severe cycles for years now. Don't want to wear out my friends and family more than I already have. So many friends have fallen away over the years. So I found this great forum recently, and have found just knowing I'm not alone and that I am not the only one who'se experienced depression so severely is like a magical salve. It's awesome how far just a comment or two can take me.

Exercise does help shift my mood to a better place too. And my beloved little Sheltie, I don't know where I'd be without her! She has saved me more than once, she's helped me keep going. Loving her back gets me out of the house for walks.

I hope you are able to manage your other medical issues so you can get past feeling overwhelmed soon.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.