Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Thoughs....
lookingformenow posted:
Hi all,
I am new here and I really not sure what I am looking for, support, advice or maybe some guidance from a different perspective. Last year I was diagnosed with postpartum depression and was put on med for it, it seemed to help and a few weeks about with my doctor help I went off the meds. The last few days I feel as though those weepy feelings, kind of feeling helpless and worried about things again. I feel frustrated with my life and don't know what to do. I lost my job last year and now I am back at school to finish my BA, but I feel as though I would much rather be working then trying to juggle being a staying at home mom and a student. My husband is very supportive of me going to school, but I just don't know if this is what I want or I am even in the right major for me.
I don't want to go back on the meds and I just don't know where to turn for advise or just to talk.

steveo69 responded:
I would definitly recomend getting back on your meds. I have been dealing with depression all my life and have been on and off the meds. Right no I really need them and am getting back on asap. I was also dignosed as being bi-polar, but whatever the case there certainly are different levels of depression, and medication is the only thing that can compete with it and keep it in check beleive me. You will be able t make desicions based on good sound thoughts rather than your wavering emotions. Anyway I hope the best for you.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, L --

you have had a difficult year -- postpartum depression, losing your job, going to school, and trying to arrange being a stay-at-home mom as well. no wonder your emotions are all in a whirl! i think it might help to talk with a therapist for several sessions; s/he would provide an emotionally safe place to talk about your day-to-day problems and could give some objective feedback on what your options might be. trying to sort out all of these things by yourself sounds like it is awfully hard.

in addition, i hope you will reconsider your insistence on rejecting the idea of psych meds altogether. trying them again is not a lifetime commitment; it is trying them again. if you were unhappy with how the other ones made you feel, there are zillions of psych meds out there; the ones you took before are not the only choices.

if you are willing to at least think about psych meds, please get evaluated by a psychiatrist, rather than by your family dr, with respect to whether and which psych meds might help. psychiatrists usually know much more about psych meds than family drs do.

please write and let us know how you are doing.

-- susie margaret

susiemargaret responded:
hello again, L --

that was me whose response didn't print comprehensibly. i don't know exactly what happened, but here it is again.

you have had a difficult year -- postpartum depression, losing your job, going to school, and trying to arrange being a stay-at-home mom as well. no wonder your emotions are all in a whirl! i think it might help to talk with a therapist for several sessions; s/he would provide an emotionally safe place to talk about your day-to-day problems and could give some objective feedback on what your options might be. trying to sort out all of these things by yourself sounds like it is awfully hard.

in addition, i hope you will reconsider your insistence on rejecting the idea of psych meds altogether. trying them again is not a lifetime commitment; it is trying them again. if you were unhappy with how the other ones made you feel, there are zillions of psych meds out there; the ones you took before are not the only choices.

if you are willing to at least think about psych meds, please get evaluated by a psychiatrist, rather than by your family dr, with respect to whether and which psych meds might help. psychiatrists usually know much more about psych meds than family drs do.

please write and let us know how you are doing.

-- susie margaret

susiemargaret responded:
hello again, again, L --

OK, now you have the benefit of hearing my response twice!

-- susie margaret

kindnesshelps responded:
Hi, and welcome to our group. I am still kind of new here myself, and I've found it to be a great place to 'talk out' stuff and get some support, encouragement and food for thought.

Well you sure have a lot of stuff going on. If your depression has kicked in again, and it sounds like it has, then it's going to be much harder to be able to regain some perspective, make well thought out decisions and have the energy to deal with your life.

Self doubts, excess worry and anxiety, feeling vulnerable and at a loss as to what to do or what you want- these things are the face of depression. It sounds like you know what is going on with you.

You said you don't want to go on meds again, can you talk more about that?

I strongly encourage you to make an appointment to see your doc- either your family doc (this is probably obvious but not your ob-gyn) or your psychiatrist. Your family doc is a good place to start if you didn't see a psychiatrist before. They can help you sort out what 's going on, explore all your options and you can go from there. Maybe a course of counselling would be helpful, again to help you sort out what's going on, and learn some new ways to deal with what's going on in your life.

Not all depression has to be treated with medication, but if it's warranted it sure can knit your brain chemistry back together so you can think clearly again and come up out of the darkness.

You have my encouragement and support.

lookingformenow responded:
Things have gotten better this week, I think it has been a combination of coming off the meds, finals coming up and dealing with little ones at home that has put me feeling this way again. I did talk to my counsler again and it did seem to help.

It is not that I am against being on the meds, it is just that I wanted to see if I could do this by myself and not be dependant on meds. If things don't start turning around in a few weeks the plan is to go back on them.

After talking with my husband the other night I think this is all streaming from the fear of failure. I feel as though I failed by loosing my job, I am only getting A's in 3 out of 4 of my classes, I get mad at my daughter when she doesn't listen and do what she is told....I just feel as though I am failing at life and don't have a purpose or know what I should be doing.

Sorry for the rambilings, just thought I would give an update

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
102 of 140 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.