Skip to content


Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Help needed
pockets34 posted:
My boyfriend has been taking the generic form of Paxil since Oct. He is on 30mg. Hes been having problems recently with being able to finish his erection to completion. The feelings are all there in the beginning, but then he gets to a point where he cant get the final release. He also takes the ED pills but even with those he cant get to the end and most times gets so frustrated that he feels hes not being able to pleasure me to the fullest. Ive looked online ad realize this is one of the side effects but is there another med that may not have as hard of an effect on him??
bamstanley responded:
Unfortunately this is a side effect that is the most devastating to all people suffering with depression. When you are depressed you just want to feel again and sex is one of the few ways that you still can.You yearn to feel close and loved by someone when you are at your lows and then this happens and you can't reach orgasm. It is extremely frustrating and it feels like this is one more thing that this disease has robbed you of. When you are going through depression you never feel secure or safe in your intimate relationships and this is one more thing to keep those thoughts alive. I never revealed how awful it was to anyone but it not only takes your pride but it rips your self esteem to shreds. I know I have no solution to this problem but I hope you can read this and try to understand what he is going through.Please try and hang in there and love and support him. Good Luck!
kindnesshelps responded:
There are other meds for depression that may have less of this side effect for him. Antidepressants but in a different class of drugs from Paxil.

If he hasn't already he should talk with his doctor about this. If he's talked to his doc already, he needs to talk to him again! If he is being treated by his family doc or internist and he seems to be at a loss for what to do next or says there isn't anything more to do, I encourage your boyfriend to see a psychiatrist since they are the specialists for this disease and have much more experience and detailed knowledge about how the particular drugs act.

It takes time to find the right one and that's hard to have patience for but it sure is worth it. I went thru the female version of this and my psychiatrist worked closely with me until we found the best combination. And I know a few male friends who went thru this and found meds that didn't cause such a frustrating problem.

I sure wish you both good luck, and hang in there.
pockets34 replied to bamstanley's response:
Its like you took the words right out of his mouth....this is exactly what he says to me time and time again.....he feels its his fault and I know from what Ive read its nothing he can control....I will make sure to have him read these posts.....thank you
Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Sexual side effects are common with paxil and maybe 70% of the rest of the antidepressants. He should talk to his doc. The least sex side effect prone is wellbutrin XL. Remeron and trazodone are pretty benign too. Desipramine and nortriptyline are OK. Sometimes we add wellbutrinXL to paxil to boost antidepressant effects and get rid of sexual side effects... Sometimes switching to any other antidepressant may be helpful, but any that boosts serotonin, may have sexual problems.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.