Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Long term depression
wiccacelt79 posted:
I have suffered with depression for 14 years and it does not seem to get any better. Tried therapy and different meds but nothing seems to help. I have horrible mood swings and hurt people verbally.

Will I suffer until my death?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Wiccacelt and welcome,

Have you received an official diagnosis and if so, what is it? Are you currently seeing a psychiatrist? Are you in regular therapy?

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
I have yet to meet a person that has tried all meds and all therapy styles. ask your doc to keep trying!

wiccacelt79 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I was officially diagnosed in 1996 with clinical depression and have been seeing a therapist as well as taking Effexor XR.
I am currently looking for a new therapist because the one I had left the company and trhe one she went to does not take my insurance. I have also had Abilify prescribed within the last month. Because I have such horrible mood swings and a friend said I may be bipolar which I am not, leads me to believe that there is something else going on.
I tried to commit suicide once in 2001 and promised my mother that I would not ever attempt it again but there are times where I think about it.

wiccacelt79 replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
Psychotherapy can only help but so much and after awhile I just don't want to talk about it. Have tried at least 4 different meds and I am currently on Abilify and Effexor XR 150mg( 2 pills once a day).

Is there anything other kind of therapy that may help?

susiemargaret replied to wiccacelt79's response:
hello, W --

have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? essentially -- altho this is an extremely simplified definition -- it teaches you to think differently about the things that upset you. a mayo clinic discussion of it is at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/MY00194 .

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD replied to wiccacelt79's response:
CBT is good. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is good. Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) is good and all are studied and manualized for consistent outcomes.
With only 4 meds to your belt, I think you still have a lot of good options. The effexorXR dose is a good one and abilify usually averages to about 10mg/d, but can go higher if needed. Remeron, wellbutrinXL as well as the other SSRI, SNRI offer you good combination options. The tricyclics and MAOi drugs really can help if the newer drugs fail as well.

wiccacelt79 replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
I was on Wellbutrin and Zoloft years ago but not at the same time but I had awful side affects.
I am also in a long term relationship and fear that it will destroy it since my significant other is at her wits end and really does not want to deal with it anymore.

mannedcat replied to wiccacelt79's response:
Hi, I have been on meds since 2005, Prozac first,it stopped working after 3 years. Then Effexor, Zoloft, then Wellbutrin,that one was the worst, I had the shakes soo bad I felt like a tree losing its leafs in the fall!! I am now on Cymbalta, Gabapentin, and Lorazepam. My doctor, did not give up he just kept trying another med. Right now I feel I need an adjustment, but in all you have to have a good doctor to listen to you. I also do therapy, not that I feel it has been helping, I was in therapy with one therapist for over a year, and all she wanted to do was make me feel like it was all my mothers fault. The new therapist seems to be okay, but I am beginning to think its like meds, if one does not work try another.I too am in a long term relationship, over 22 years. Depression and anxiety did not start for me till 2002, although I have had it since childhood, it spiraled out of control in 2002. I do not know if we ever get our selfs back, but I will keep trying, and hope you do to. Hang in there!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.