Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

How do you know if you are depressed or just anti-social?
An_203345 posted:
This may be answered somewhere already but I have been throwing this around for years now. How do you know if you really are depressed? For example, I have been struggling to focus at work for several years now..and by focus I mean, I can be at work all day and do nothing but answer some emails, maybe read some management articles, but I avoid everything that has to do with people at all costs. if my phone rings, i cringe. After work, I can't wait to shower and change into pjs and if all goes well I can take a nap before bed. i do take care of my responsibilities, i will work out because i know how important that is, & i want to be healthy. Weekends I may go to sleep between 10-11, and wake up at 10-11. I get mad if someone plans something and I have to go somewhere, because i would rather stay in sweats or pjs and nap on and off all day all weekend, every weekend. I usually give in and go, but i find myself unable to enjoy anything. I tend to sit and watch people, like I'm not really there. I am quiet, it's a struggle to get up each day and go to work but i know i have to or I won't have $ to pay bills. I am not suicidal, but do hate my job. maybe it's just that, i dont' know. I just don't feel right, or normal. hard to explain, it just feels like something is off. I grew up with a depressed parent and knwo how bad it can be, and i've always told myself i will not be them. i know the signs, i do positive affirmations every day, i believe in God, i try to eat right, exercise, etc. i had to take care of my mom when depressed, but maybe i'm just trying to talk myself out of it? it has such a stigma with it, and i feel like it's a weakness if i admit it.. ive always been told i'm too quiet and all that crap. I would rather read or sleep, than do anything outside but I do what i have to do as far as responsibilities because i know that i have to to survive. does it sound like i'm just antisocial, shy, bored, unhappy with job or is it depression? i do feel anxious at times too, like i just can't sit still, and i know my sister has also expressed concern about herself with depression but she and her dr are trying different hormone things first. ive thought maybe i should tell my dr. but maybe if i keep trying i can talk myself into getting over it. i don't go to the dr unless i'm sick, so i hate to go for this. any thoughts?

calcedonia01 responded:
Depression has a number of feelings that you have to have to be declared to have depression, ex: low mood, poor food intake, tiredness. Sometimes you need to be checked by a regular family doctor to make sure it is not a low thyroid for example. Depression takes on many different faces. So no matter how you feel have it checked out by someone.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
102 of 140 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.