Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
teen depression and religious views
enm438 posted:
is medication the only way that someone can over come depression. i talked with my youth pastor and he said that yes medication does work for some people but it isn't necessary to recover from depression and live your life normally. he also added that this will be lenghy ordeal. is there any need to go and talk with a professional, if your not planning on taking any medications, or will a support group work... any thoughts

calcedonia01 responded:
No medication is not the onlly way to over come depression but, it is a way to help you feel better and to be able to make clearer decisions. Prayer is our number one medication for depression. God made doctors to help people when they are ill. Coming from a nurse, both medication and lots of prayer and positive thinking will do wonders.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi-

you can beat depression as follows
1- sometimes it is time limited and just goes away
2- talking to supportive family/friends and changing lifestyles and habits and patterns may help (ie self help groups too)
3- seeing a trained counselor/psychotherapist for psychotherapy can help
4. meds can help

Lots of options. The key is you are asking for help and getting educated!

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Group for Families and friends of people with depression
Since most of the family support sites are 404, I set one up for friends, family and spouses of people with depression. Actually, everyone ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.