Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Anxiety/Depression
Virginiababy posted:
Well, I'm in one of my "spells" again. It's so hard to believe that something physical isn't causing this, but I've been checked out thoroughly. My entire body is affected. This has happened several times over the last few years, mostly before times of change and uncertainty, or when I have an intrusive thought that I can't shake. Suddenly I have this feeling of dread grip my heart. I get hot all over and my heart seems to beat harder. In no time the diarrhea starts. I lose interest in everything that normally gives me pleasure. I feel dead inside. I'm so nervous I could jump out of my skin. I don't want anything to eat; in fact food is abhorrent to me. I awaken each morning way earlier than normal and can't go back to sleep. The depression and anxiety are overwhelming. This can last two weeks or two months, and once it starts there is no relief until it runs its course. I take prozac 20-40 mg per day and trazodone 50 mg per day. Occasionally I take a lose dose inderal but I'm never sure whether it helps or not. Is there anyone out there who experiences what I'm experiencing? When I'm not in a "spell" life is wonderful and carefree.

larsstarscanary responded:
Could you be having hot flashes or other menopausal symptoms?

Virginiababy replied to larsstarscanary's response:
Thanks. I thought of that too, but I've had my hormones tested and I'm just barely premenopausal. I'm 45 years old. I almost wish that was what it was...maybe I could take hormones in that case and clear it up. It's so weird. I had these episodes when I was in college and then in 2005 they started up again after I had an epidural in my neck and the doctor hit a nerve. It's like it did something to me.

susiemargaret replied to Virginiababy's response:
hello, virginia --

these sound awfully like anxiety/panic attacks, and yet i see that you are not taking anything for anxiety -- only two antidepressants. (i don't understand why you are taking the inderal.) perhaps it is time to revisit your meds regime with your dr?

in addition, and if you have not already done so, you might want to take a look, or post, in the anxiety/panic community, http://exchanges.webmd.com/anxiety-and-panic-disorders-exchange .

i'm so sorry you've been having these spells; they sound very scary.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Virginiababy replied to susiemargaret's response:
Thank you, Susie. You're right, it is definitely anxiety/panic. I've also been diagnosed as OCD. It manifests itself in only intrusive thoughts. In 2005 I tried Ativan and then Xanax. It seemed that each of these made me worse, but I need to be open to trying these or something else again. It scares me to take anything considering that they made me worse. I actually get panicky about taking the meds. Inderal is primarily for high blood pressure but has been indicated for anxiety as well. When my heart feels like it's beating out of my chest inderal calms it down. But sometimes I think it makes me more depressed. These spells are very scary and they're so hard to understand.

susiemargaret replied to Virginiababy's response:
hello agqain, virginia --

so when is the last time you saw a dr about treating your anxiety? are you planning to make an appt soon? if not, why not?

there are many anti-anxiety meds in addition to ativan and xanax. i think it is way too soon to give up on finding a good one.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

jazz1910 responded:
I had really bad anxiety and I tried a lot of medication: prozac, zoloft, paxil, celexa, lexapro, elavil, ativan, xanax, parnate and nardil. They all worked in some ways but created a lot of problems otherwise. The ssris were definitely the best overall, elavil was awful and parnate was a nightmare but nardil worked pretty well. So everyone, including me was convinced I had an endogenous depression and anxiety problem because the drugs worked somewhat and I have had this problem most of my life. I was also given what I thought was a complete physical many times and they always said there was nothing wrong with me. To make a long story short a girlfriend said I breathe funny and I should get tested for allergies. Sure enough I have severe allergies to tress, grass, shellfish and cockroaches. After taking allergy nasal medication regularly and pills occasionally (very sedating and can cause depression) I feel much better. My anxiety is much better and so is my depression. It turns out that antidepressants are also antihistamines. Anyhow, if you haven't been tested for allergies I would highly recommend it. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Virginiababy replied to susiemargaret's response:
Thanks, Susie. I'm on a waiting list to see a local psychiatrist who is purportedly not prone to over-medicating. I'm hoping to see him soon. This afternoon has been somewhat better. Maybe I see a light at the end of the tunnel!

Virginiababy replied to jazz1910's response:
Wow! You never know what's going on behind the scenes, do you? Thanks for the tip.

Hazelandie5 responded:
I have had 2 of these "spells" or anxiety that you descibe. My symptoms are almost identical. I wake-up early w/ dread, I'm hot, can't eat, intrusive thoughts. It is horrible. I, like you, otherwise don't have any depression and only mild anxiety and am happy with my life. This is the 2nd time i have had to deal with this. The last time this happened i look ativan or klonopin as needed and that was effective for breaking the cycle. I also practiced meditation and mindfulness, which helped. This time my Dr has started me on zoloft. I have just started getting some relief and am hoping i am on an up swing.
I hope this helps. It can be comforting to know other people experience the same thing. Just remember, you will feel better .

melt218 responded:
Hi my name is Mary. There was a time when I had everything you mentioned above..also anxiety attacks and panic attacks where I actually ended up in the ER only to find out nothing was wrong..at least not physical. We as a people acknowledge physical illness and mental illness but we do not acknowledge SPIRITUAL ILLNESS. anotherwords do you have a relationship with God...??? we are spiritual beings...when I mayself became born again and learned what the bible said..those words became my weapons to fight the thoughts in my head...sometimes those thoughts are not your own..there is an enemy of our soul and he places those thoughts in our mind we either reject them or come into agreement with them...so when I believed what the bible said I used those words to tell the devil..he is a liar..and no weapon formed against me would prosper..that God did not give me a spirit of fear but power love and a sound mind....some people laugh at this..thats there choice...find a bible believeing church to go to...a bible study and learn about the lord..God loves you..and he wants to come into relationship with you..you will know the truth and the truth will set you free..
God bless you...and keep you ..and make His face to shine upon you and give you peace..
Mary

coachdebra responded:
Hi Virginia - I trust that all is well with you. As I read your post I immediately wondered if you have mitral valve prolapse. It is NOT a serious condition but one where there is a "floppy" heart valve. Your doctor can test for mvp and as my doctor once said...it is not most valuable player. Anyway, I just wanted to bring this to your attention as imvp could be causing some of your symptoms. With best wishes, Debra

Papalos responded:
Virginia, I went through something like this many years ago. It was an incredibly turbulent time in my life and I would be going 100 miles a minute, and whenever I would take some time to rest or sleep, I would feel this panic and dread, and physical conditions that mimicked heart attacks. So much so that my wife took me to the ER on 2 occasions. In the end, I was diagnosed with Stress Anxiety Disorder. What I was told was that there was so much going on in my life that even though I wanted to stop, my mind would not, and it forced me, through the sweats, the racing heart, the heat, to get up and not be able to rest. I was given Buspar, for the stress, and Inderol to control the heart racing, but ultimately, what helped me was an attitude change. I convinced myself, and live by it to this day, that I needed to focus on what I could control at the moment, and not worry about what I could not. It seems awfully simple, but I will say that it has worked for me. I have not been on drugs for this in over 15 years. I still feel the rush every once in a while when things are tough, and can get up in the middle of the night with racing heart, and panic, but it is more the exception that the rule it was, and I know that I can control it. Good Luck!

murphsters responded:
I am an incest survivor. Have been through treatment a number of years ago for 2.5 years and had all of what you describe. I had a lot of work to do on what happened in the past and did and it has been years since I have felt that way but I need to say that up until recently that feeling of dread or that something would always wake me at night and did off and on again up until recently. I have always believed and loved God dearly and pray but what seem to finally take that from me was I started to read the bible, watch Joyce Meyer (don't know if you have heard of her) bought her book Battlefield of the Mind, and listened to her tapes and I have never felt so close to God and I asked God to take this from me and answered my prayer. So at the the risk of sounding like Im pushing you to pray I must admit I am. That is the answer to your problem. Pray to Him. He loves you and wants to heal you.

melt218 replied to murphsters's response:
I too am a survivor and thats where the roots of my stress came from...I tried everything counceling, medication and nothing worked until I got saved and learned what the bible says about Gods promises to me are. I began to learn them and believe them...they work.God is faithful...Joyce Meyer is amazing...good advice Murphsters...

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

rohvannyn
You are special. I just want to let you know what a wonderful person you are. You give great advice. You're a very giving person...and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.