Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Getting off Effexor
readseverything57 posted:
I've been on 150mgs. of Effexor for 7+ years. My life has changed for the better, menopause is over and I'd like to be drug-free. I've heard and read that coming off Effexor is a nightmare. Has anyone ever kicked Effexor without the horrible withdrawal? I'm afraid to try.

fishnic responded:
Hello, the only way I was able to get off Effexor was to get my doc. to step me down til I was at the lowest then was able to get off without any withdrawal. I'm glad you want to be drug-free. Just be careful because if you've been on Effexor and then you go off you might go back to the way it use to be. I hope you don't need it. Good luck!

susiemargaret responded:
hello, R --

when my psychiatrist and i decided that i should quit taking effexor XR, i was really scared because of all of the horror stories i had read about it. at the time i was taking 150 mg/day, if i'm remembering correctly.

i took at least two months to do it and didn't have a problem. first i switched to the same dosage but on "regular" effexor, not XR, for a week or so. then i started reducing my dosage by 12.5 to 15 mg every week -- no more than that, and taking each reduced dosage for a whole week before going to the next reduction.

i have read that some drs add a small dose of prozac/fluoxetine -- 10 mg or so -- to help while someone is quitting effexor. i didn't ever feel like i needed that, but i wouldn't have hesitated to ask.

so my advice is to go very, very slowly. if it seems that you are starting to feel withdrawal symptoms -- which, believe me, you will know! -- go back up a step and come down even more slowly. you've been on it for seven yrs; there is no reason to think you have to stop taking it within two weeks.

one more thing -- i would not try to quit taking more than one med at a time. if you are taking more than one, only stop taking one, then do the others one by one.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

kathycornflakes replied to susiemargaret's response:
I must agree with the previous posts. I tried to stop taking it last spring. I was at 75mg and was only taking it for 6 months. I tried to stop cold turkey-HUGE mistake!!!! I did not take it for 4 days and I was pretty much a mess. I ended up in the ER begging for more just to feel like a human! I am now up to 150mg and have been on that dose for several months. I am way too scared to stop taking it! Take everyone's great advise- work with your doctor and go as slow as you can. Esp since you have been on it so long. Good luck! : )

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.