Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
sleeping while taking an antidepressant
DangerZone44 posted:
I'm a 44 yr old male who takes prozac for depression but I am not sleeping like I used to in the beginning is there something I can take to help me sleep while taking prozac?

susiemargaret responded:
hello, DZ --

you need to talk with your dr about this.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Oh, there are tons of things you can do.
First, google sleep hygiene or go to http://www.sleepeducation.com/Hygiene.aspx from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and make sure you are behaviorally trying good sleep practices. If that fails, you can find a therapist to teach you behavioral sleep techniques (these often work as well as meds, but you need to find a therapist trained in cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia...). If these non med things fail there are addictive and non addictive sleep meds you can ask for. Rozerem and Silenor are FDA approved non-addictive ones. Slightly addictive ones are ambien, sonata, lunesta and more addictive are restoril or dalmane. All sleeping pills can work but make you tired/groggy in the morning, dizzy, off balance. some can make you sleep walk and as noted some are addicting- so talk to your doc.

truindependent responded:
I have had wonderful success with Doxepin (Sinequan). My doc tells me it's one of the only meds that actually put you into a deep sleep. And it is a very old treatment for depression. Just be careful of the side effects - one of the 'biggest' ones is potential weight gain.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
102 of 140 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.