Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

TV addict
runamok76 posted:
Is anyone else addicted to TV I guess its become my distraction tool I feel ok while I'm watching TV but when I'm not I feal anxious and depressed. I feel like such an idiot there are so many things I'd rather be doing and need to do, but it like a compulsion. I sit and watch TV all day long. Help!

beckyred responded:
I watch TV every waking moment!!! I don't go outside, I hat to go to the store...I don't like being around people!!! I do communicate with the outside world though, I am addicted to Facebook...that and TV...that's it. I go to school online, that does take up a couple hours a day, but even then I am watching TV...I feel your pain

Ashaan responded:
Yes, I admit to being a tv addict ... I use it to keep my mind quiet, to keep me from thinking about my (lack of) self-worth and esteem. I also use it to drown out noises at night, and have slept with the tv on all night for years. Since I lost my job in September, and job-hunting has been extremely frustrating, I use tv to keep from thinking. I am getting ready to begin training at my city's zoo, so hope that will help get me out of the tv habit.

I wish everyone with this particular problem the very best in finding other avenues to help them deal with what is going on in their lives that tv has become a tool to cope.

Blessings!

JAH726 replied to Ashaan's response:
My husband has been working on and off (mostly off) for 3 years and he is completely addicted to TV - it's on all day and night and he sleeps with it on. It drives me insane since I am not a TV watcher. This conversation here has been extremely valuable because I now understand that the TV drowns out his depressive thoughts over being able to find a steady job in his field and he uses it as a coping mechanism, you are all so right.

brinda123 responded:
Hi
I am 22 years old and pursuing a masters degree. Since I have classes only in the evening I stay home all day watching TV or movies online. The reason I chose this program was to work on my writing during the day. My addiction has not only affected my writing but my studies also. I can't even concentrate one day before my exam. I have a huge tuition fee loan and my course is expensive and I feel like I'm ruining my whole life. I have tried to stop but I guess it is difficult to do it by myself. I think it would be nice if we could make a common plan and work on it together. We could keep each other motivated.

itmatsb replied to brinda123's response:
Perhaps you suffer from depression as the man above is. Try seeing a counselor at your college. Most colleges have them. And more than that, see a doctor to see about getting some anti-depressants. You are definately escaping from your mental state otherwise. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.