Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

darkness
pldkk posted:
I have been on meds for seven years and do not know if they are helping all that much. I do know that before I went on them I was in a very dark place. I am afraid to let myself get to that point again so I have stayed on the meds even though I have gained 60 pounds since I went on them and tremble so much (it seems) that I feel like I have Parkinson's disease. I also see a therapist who so far has made me feel twice as bad. So my personal advice is to take the meds, sooner than later. I know if I go back to that dark place I might not make it back out again. Best wishes. I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, P --

i'm so sorry i didn't see your post until now, and i hope you are still following this thread.

if you feel that your meds are not working as well as they should, you need to talk with your dr about this immediately. is your prescribing dr a psychiatrist? i ask because psychiatrists usually know much more about psych meds than other drs do, so now might be the time to switch for a meds re-evaluation. i am esp concerned about your trembling, which can often be a serious side effect of certain classes of psych meds and needs to be addressed to make sure it does not become permanent.

if your therapist is making you feel worse instead of better or at least productive, it is time to get a new therapist. there are all kinds of therapists out there, with all kinds of therapeutic approaches; there is no point in wasting your money if you are not being helped. when you see someone else, you can talk about what was frustrating about your relationship with your previous therapist, what you would like to do differently, what the new therapist's approach usually is, etc.

i send you caring thoughts and hope that you will keep us posted on how you are doing.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.