Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

*Checking In
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
What have you done for yourself this week?
Let's check in weekly and see if can't get to helping ourselves weekly!
See the doc?

Take your meds?
Exercise?
What are you doing to help yourself?
Chrissy~

When the world says, Give up,
Hope whispers, Try it one more time.
~Author Unknown

dem24 responded:
am sorry for all the times i screwed these things. i am not going to that to anymore. i only stopped in to see what happened to wrote you. as i thought you cant even see it. you will always be dear to me

ladybird81 responded:
I went to my therapist today. They put me on new meds. I'm nervous about starting them I'm trying to wrap myself in good memories. Struggling to keep my emotions in check.... Im trying

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to ladybird81's response:
I'm so glad you are trying ladybird! I don't blame you for being a bit nervous about the new meds, but think positive! Ya have to keep trying, good for you!!
Chrissy~ When the world says, Give up, Hope whispers, Try it one more time. ~Author Unknown

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to dem24's response:
Glad you stopped by Dem, never leave!
Chrissy~ When the world says, Give up, Hope whispers, Try it one more time. ~Author Unknown

lexismom11 responded:
I went to see a different psychiatrist who I thought might be able to help me only to be told that he can't. My problems are outside of his expertise and that sounds really stupid to me. It makes me angry. I feel like no one can help me because if a doctor can't, then what do I do. I keep taking my meds and go to my therapy appoints which is what I will be doing tomorrow, but what's the point?

susiemargaret replied to lexismom11's response:
hello, LM11 --

ask your counselor to give you some names of other psychiatrists who have more experience in whatever your problem is.

you might also call this other dr back and ask him for some recommendations.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

lexismom11 replied to susiemargaret's response:
My therapist wants me to go into the hospital which scare me a little. I feel anxious about it. I know I need to go because I can no longer keep myself safe. Hopfully I can get the proper help there.

marysings replied to lexismom11's response:
lexismom11,

Going into the hospital can be scary. If you don't mind, I'll help you pack.

• Take only 3 additional sets of clothing. Most institutions will have a laundry area. You might also take fabric softener sheets to use in the dryer.
  • Do NOT take pants with a drawstring - if you do, the strings will be taken or cut out.
  • Take pajamas that are not see-through or suggestive.
  • Wear sandals or shoes that do not have laces. If you wear tennis shoes, they will remove the laces.
  • Take slippers but not fuzzy ones.
  • Take minimal grooming items. What ever you take will be locked up and you'll have to ask for them as you need them. I finally gave up wearing makeup.
  • Do NOT take a mirror or anything in a glass container. It will be taken away from you.
  • Do not take your cell phone. It will be locked up and not given back to you until you leave.
  • Take numbers of special people you might want to call. Be prepared for calls to be limited to 10 minutes or less.
  • Take a pre-paid phone card for long distance calls.
  • Take a notebook and ink pen. If you take a pentel pencil, it will probably be taken away from you.
  • If you know where you are going, call ahead for more detailed instructions. I always ask about bringing my own pillow and my pink blanket. Some allow them, some don't.
  • Do not count on getting a lot of sleep, especially during the day. Some hospitals have you in groups and therapy for the entire day and you'll have homework in the evening. Some will have nothing for you to do.

If I think of more, I'll post them.

When your therapist says you need to go inpatient, trust their judgement.

Hugs,
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

marysings responded:
I'm in therapy twice a week now. It's hard work and horribly exhausting. I'll be glad when I can go back to once a week. I'm letting Dr.B make that decision.

I saw a new dermatologist today. She actually was interested in helping me. That was a nice change from the one I saw in January who saw me for 15 minutes and then told me to come back in a year.

I saw my rhuematologist today, I was diagnosed with fibro in August of 2002. She checked me over today and thinks I have developed lupus. I went to the lab and they drew 11 vials of blood. I'll know more next week when she gets all the results back.

I found a replacement psychiatrist for the one who abandoned me. I sent in a formal complaint to the state about the pdoc who abandoned me. hmmmmmmmm I'll bet he'll be ticked off when the state shows up in his office.

My mother in law is dying and it breaks my heart. She had a stroke on Sunday and can't swallow anything. If she lives another week we'll be surprised. It is hard watching my husband's sadness.

What am I doing to help myself? Not much. This evening I realized that I had not taken any meds today. No wonder I feel like poop.

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to marysings's response:
Hi Mary,

Gosh I hope you don't have Lupus and that all goes well!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother In Law. How is she doing?
Please take your meds, take care of you as best you can, if you don't it seems to make things worse.
Going to therapy must be exhausting, but keep it up! Onward and upward!

Hang in there honey! I feel for you, I really do.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.