Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

DMAE Supplement
schlossflieg posted:
Hello! I was just wondering if anyone has any information or experience with the supposedly natural supplement called DMAE? It is supposed to be very helpful with depression, anxiety, loss of interest, and motivation, Sounds too good to be true but at this point I'm willing to give anything a try. Thanks for your time!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jazz1910 responded:
OMG, I can't believe someone posted a question about DMAE. I have just started taking it about 2 weeks ago and I think it works great.It is inexpensive and I have not experienced any side-effects. It gives me energy, focus and relieves my anxiety and depression. It has helped me greatly to recover from the horrific lexapro withdrawals. It increases acetylcholine which is depleted from antidepressants and their withdrawals. If you take it with choline and inositol, lecithin and l-methylfolate it will work even better but you might not need all of those. Plus it supposed to be healthy for you unlike antidepressants which are horribly unhealthy. It can't hurt to try it. It had a dramatic effect on me within a few hours of taking it. So I didn't have to take it for 2 weeks before I knew if it helped.

schlossflieg replied to jazz1910's response:
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear such positive things! I have been taking Zoloft for at least 15 years. Then, for the past 5 years my MD added 20 mg.of Ritalin in the morning to help with morning depression/lack of motivation. That doctor retired and my new psychiatrist was opposed to me taking the Ritalin. I am 55 years old and he felt uneasy about addiction and side effects like high blood pressure. He was making me feel guilty about not being able to "get myself going" without the help of Ritalin. Finally, I just decided to forget about it....it was too much trouble to get the rx every month from him. I did a google search on natural alternatives to Ritalin and other stimulants, and that is where I found the info on DMAE. I can't decide how much I should take if I start. One article said start at 125mg. daily and work up to 500mg. The article also said it could take up to 3 months to notice a REAL difference. You seem to know a lot more about stuff I never heard of like "choline and inositol, lecithin and l-methylfolate". What are those, where do I get them, and are they safe? Thanks for your info!

susiemargaret replied to schlossflieg's response:
hello, S --

webMD info on DMAE, usually called deanol, is at http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-524-DMAE DEANOL.aspx?activeIngredientId=524&activeIngredientName=DMAE (DEANOL)&source=2 . i call your attention esp to it because --

-- altho it is said to improve mood under the "overview" tab,

-- it is described as showing "insufficient evidence" for improving mood under the "uses" tab, and

-- the material under the "side effects" tab warns that it can cause depression, that it can make depression worse, and that it can make schizophrenia symptoms worse. in addition, many manufacturers of DMAE warn on their own labels that it should not be taken by those suffering from bipolar disorder.

in addition, i did some quickie -- admittedly not exhaustive -- internet skipping-around tonight among several govt websites and several alternative- and complementary-medicine websites that i consider medically credible (i deliberately skipped manufacturers' and sellers' websites). i could not find anything to buttress manufacturers' claims that it is effective in treating depression (see PS). this doesn't mean that nothing is out there, of course, it means only that i couldn't find anything. nonetheless, in combination with the webMD material, this makes me leery about using DMAE for depression.

would you be willing to send me the citations for the article(s) you read about DMAE and depression?

-- susie margaret

PS -- i looked only with respect to depression; i did not look with respect to DMAE's alleged energy-boosting or other qualities.
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

schlossflieg replied to susiemargaret's response:
Susie Margaret: I found this info on a website called DMAE.org I have darkened the parts of interest to me.
What is DMAE (Dimethylaminoethenol)?
Dimethylaminoethenol (DMAE) is a metabolite, a product produced by the body's metabolic process of procaine. It is a central nervous system stimulant that has a mild impact. It's effect is similar to an amphetamine, but it is not such a drug. The term DMAE is actually an abbreviation for dimethylaminoethanol, a naturally occurring chemical produced by the human brain. It is a choline molecule that has one methyl group missing from the nitrogen, and it may be for this reason that it can cross the blood-brain barrier more easily than choline. While choline is known to be the precursor of acetylcholine, a recognized neurotransmitter, DMAE may prove to offer a more direct approach to this function by moving into the brain, being acted on by an enzyme (methylation), and thereby undergoing conversion into choline directly where it is needed.
Although free-radicals are a natural result of the human body's activity, the human equilibrium may be upset because of modern diet and environmental conditions that add further stressors to the system. These conditions cause a need for additional antioxidants in order for the body to cope with industrialized life. Antioxidants seem to reinforce one another, and for this reason it seems prudent to combine the use of several rather than to rely on only one type.

DMAE Benefits
* Increase life span. Some animal studies show a lengthier than usual life span, however, results are inconclusive at this time.
* Reduce and/or prevent DNA damage.
* Enhance brain activity. Because of more readily moving through the brain-blood barrier before conversion into choline, it is believed that DMAE is more effective in aiding brain function such as making neurotransmitters.
* Enhance ability to fight environmental stressors. As an antioxidant, DMAE can deactivate free-radicals (oxidative stress) created by such environmental polluters as automobile exhaust, cigarette smoke, radiation, stress, physical exercise, and other chemicals.
* Improve the body's ability to deal with dietary stressors. Rancid fats, hydrogenated fats, and fats that have been heated to high temperatures as in cooking are known to create dietary stress due to the oxidative stress they place on the human system. DMAE eliminates the free-radicals resulting from these fats.
* Prevent and/or treat cardiovascular problems. Scientific studies have documented DMAE's ability to deal with degenerative diseases such as cardiovascular problems.
* Increase ability of the immune system.
* Alleviate behavioral problems. Hyperactivity associated with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), improved attention span, decreased aggression, improved learning ability, and sometimes increased intelligence.
* Increase attention span. After 6 weeks of DMAE supplementation, students showed improved concentration at lectures and during examinations.
* Improve learning, memory, creativity, and verbal fluency.
* Decrease incidences and severity of hangovers in those individuals who consume excessive amounts of alcohol. After 6 weeks of DMAE ingestion, subjects reported that depression and headaches of hangovers were eliminated.
* Increase energy. Subjective reports improved energy, sometimes assumed to be a result of the reduction in depression and/or the stimulation of the central nervous system.
* Reduce apathy. Some studies have shown increased motivation as well as energy that lessened apathetic attitudes and anxiety of subjects.
* Reduce sleep needed. A reduction of one hour was noted after 6 weeks of DMAE use and sleep was reported to be more sound and refreshing.
* Increase lucid dreaming.

DMAE Clinical Studies
In a French double-blind study, individuals were given 1200 mg/day of DMAE for five days and subjects showed significant improvements in alertness and neuromotor control as well as decreased anxiety.

hello again, S --

thanks very much for sending me the citation of the info you relied on.

i think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. in addition to the fact that the website is one that sells DMAE rather than an objective third party, the website does not even stand behind the info it provides; take a look at its "FDA disclaimer," http://www.wellnesstrader.com/show/fda-disclaimer --

-- The products and the claims made about specific products on or through this site have not been evaluated by the Wellness Trader, LLC or the United States Food and Drug Administration and are not approved to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.

-- You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment.

take a look also at its "terms of use and disclaimer," http://www.wellnesstrader.com/show/terms-of-use-disclaimer --

-- WellnessTrader.com does not warrant and shall have no liability for information provided in this site regarding recommendations concerning supplements for any and all health purposes. ... Dietary supplements are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. ... WellnessTrader.com makes no guarantee or warranty, express or implied, with respect to any products or services sold, including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

--
Information accessed through this online site is provided "AS IS" and without warranty, express or implied. All implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular use or purpose are hereby excluded. WellnessTrader.com and Information Providers make no warranty as to the reliability, accuracy, timeliness, usefulness or completeness of the information.

let's not get in an argument. i'm assuming that we are both reasonable people, and reasonable people can disagree about things. i appreciate your participating in this community (see PS) and giving others the benefit of your experience.

-- susie margaret

PS -- i am not an "official" webMD person and do not speak for webMD in any way. my posts are my own opinions.
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

schlossflieg replied to susiemargaret's response:
You think we will have to agree to disagree? About what?
Let's not get in an argument? Whose arguing?
Assuming that we are both reasonable people and reasonable people can disagree about things? What on earth do you mean?
I don't recall saying ANYTHING about disagreeing with ANYBODY! My original post was simply an inquiry and ONLY an inquiry as to whether or not anyone in this community had any experience with DMAE. If you notice, I even stated it "sounded too good to be true". Please don't twist my words in your mind so that YOU can start an "agree/disagree" conversation. That may be what YOU are looking for but please leave me out, thank you

hello, S --

oh, dear. i think i've been misunderstanding you, and i'm so sorry. you are absolutely right, and i should have looked back at your original post before i rode in on my high horse. i tend to go off on tangents where supplements are concerned, and i apologize for assuming that you had already decided that DMAE did everything claimed on that website when all you were doing was asking for info and then responding to my own request.

i hope we get some additional opinions and that you will accept my apology.

-- susie margaret

jazz1910 replied to schlossflieg's response:
I take Country Life DMAE 700 mg a day. I also tried Source Naturals which worked just as well if not better. I got them at a local vitamin store. I never built up to that amount. The only side-effect I had was mildly loose bowel movements for 2 days which was actually good for me. I am not sure if it was the DMAE or not. They are weak compared to antidepressants and are very safe. I don't know how they interact with antidepressants because most antidepressants are anticholinergic (even if the manufacturer says they aren't) and DMAE and the other supplements I mentioned increase acetylcholine. You might want to ask your doctor but I doubt if he even knows what this is. The other supplements I mentioned are B vitamins except lecithin which is what a large portion of your brain is made of. It is also in many foods as an additive because it makes things smooth and not clumpy. Some of the innocuous posters on this board are really paid Webmd staff members who's job is to promote medication and discredit alternative therapies. The FDA disclaimer is on all vitamins because vitamin manufacturers don't have to get FDA approval to sell them as long as they don't hurt anyone. But objective 3rd party double blind studies have been done and affirm DMAE's effectiveness. Drug companies do their own studies but that doesn't stop Webmd from discrediting those studies. FDA approval makes billions of dollars for the government and is not very good science. But that is a whole other discussion. BTW, my Webmd update emails don't seem to work correctly and so I never saw your reply. Also, I have oversimplified my answer because their is a lot of info on these things.

beyourbest replied to jazz1910's response:
Thankyou for your post, I have taken DMAE in the past and just recently I began to try it again, the first time I took it I was at uni and was using other supplements like acytl carnitine, I was having a difficult time concentrating while I was taking DMAE but when I stopped I had the most amazing learning capacity and focus beyond what I ever imagined I was capable of, however as time past I have struggled to find that level of performance, I have tried taking everything that I had taken before without ever reaching the level of performance I had reached before and the only thing I hadnt tried again was DMAE because I read that it can cause confusion which is what I experienced when I was on it. So I began taking it again about 3 or 4 weeks ago, for the first 2 weeks I noticed a massive improvement in my mood and motivation, concentration and my mental abilities felt like they were rising however I reached a peak and then fell into a decline where I began to be unable to concentrate and my mood became extremely very low, my mood is still low at this moment however I have a theory that my brain has been over stimulated and has become exhausted, try drinking orange juice everyday and the same symptoms will occur and so my theory is that if you want to supplement with DMAE then after a week or so you should reduce your dose significantly in order not to overstimulate your brain and to avoid a massive crash, my preliminary conclusion or theory is that DMAE does help with mental function a great deal but I think it must accumulate in your brain and so a very minute tiny dose should have more steady long term benefits than taking the recommended dose, I've been reducing it by taking about a quarter of a 175mg pill, I have not noticed a significant improvement in my mood yet and so my plan now is to reduce this much more significantly to try and reduce the does to about 1mg in the hope this will help me recover and to achieve a long term beneficial effect on my mood and anxiety because initially DMAE really did make me feel super positive and confident, the increased mental capabilities potential is also a massive bonus too which anyone would love to aquire if indeed my theory is correct I will add an update when I have drawn a conclusion after a few weeks of a super low dose

Bubbles123x replied to susiemargaret's response:
Mmm, quite a shame science has not caught up with this. I went from suicidal to very calm and functional in a few hours after taking 300mg of DMAE. Maybe it alleviates depression in some and worsens it in others, much like some drugs.

Bubbles123x responded:
Absolutely AH MAZE ING.....I took 300mg the other day (for my skin, mind you) and found the awful blue mood I've been experiencing for the last six weeks over a break up completely lift.....no kidding! I am calm, focussed, sometimes gently happy (i.e. not elated or anything but I can't wait to see what this does when I don't have reason to be down)

beyourbest replied to Bubbles123x's response:
I would steer clear of DMAE, it is amazing at first but it will make you worse than ever if you keep taking it, I dont have the definitive answer I am still working on it but RHODIOLA ROSEA is the best alternative to DMAE and it wont turn you into a psycho
however I now think that supplements which increase dopamine levels begin to wear of in effect due to their depletion of other nutrients within your body.
Exactly what they are I do not yet know but Folic Acid and Vitamin B6 are top of my list of key nutrients however everything must be kept in balance and so taking a liquid vitamin supplement due to its superior absorption is definetely something which I at present consider could be of benefit.

In concern to DMAE I think its major drawback is that it interferes with the balance of fatty acids within your brain.
These fatty acids you obtain from tuna and other fish food.

something which I think is worth taking into account in regards to TUNA and other fish is that there are issues with their digestion if taken with things like rice or wheat due to PH balance during absorption. The theory is that they conflict each other and your body and brain create conditions which are a compromise between the ideal PH stomach acid levels and this results in neither being effficently digested.
Im considering trying digestive enzymes supplements but not sure if they even work or what tpe of food they are targetted at.

lissmeanstrouble replied to beyourbest's response:
I am thinking of trying this DMAE even with all of the warnings, the positives sound too enticing not to try.

Oh geez when you get into molecules and how they absorb in your body and what other molecules deplete things from your system, its quite a crazy world we live in, we are giants made of atoms and millions of things we dont even comprehend...

Bubbles123x replied to beyourbest's response:
Thank you, I appreciate your comment and will take heed. For now, however, DMAE is getting me through the day after a devastating life event. I was meaning to use it only to help me over the hump. Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.