Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Do you think I should tell my psych I tried adderall without a prescription if it works amazingly??
pennyyylane posted:
Hi guys,
I am new on here. 19 year old female.
For as long as I remember I've suffered from anxiety and depression. I have not been officially diagnosed with either since I never had insurance to go to a psychiatrist, but my mother has been diagnosed with both so I am quite familiar with the symptoms.

When I started college, I discovered adderall. I first tried it for reasons everyone else did, it kept me up all night to write papers/study. However, I found that it was not just keeping me up, but I was genuinely in a better mood. My thoughts all of a sudden become clearly organized. I am motivated to do things that I love. I am much more social. I know the appropriate responses in conversations. It makes me feel like my brain works the way everyone else's does. Just a 20mg dose keeps me actually happy for hours and hours and hours. I am not looking for a high. Just clarity and happiness.

My question is this: Should I TELL my psych (i am covered now!) that I have tried adderall and that it is my miracle drug or will he think I am trying to abuse/sell?

It is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I do recognize that I have not been prescribed anything in the past. But I've tried my fair share of pills. Benzos do nothing for my mood or cloudy mind. They just make the attacks subside. I do not want to be on anti-depressants. I have seen my mother on them. That was not my mother. I am honestly quite scared of them.

I have not had my first visit yet so the doc knows nothing about me. A part of me wants a legit psychiatric diagnosis, finally, to get insight on the depression and anxiety I have been experiencing since middle school. But then again, I could give all the classic signs of ADHD and have a better chance of getting something i KNOW works amazingly. I just don't want to hop around from pill to pill until we find something that may sort of work. I saw it with my mother.

I feel like I've gone on for too long, but please guys, what do you think???
FirstPrevious12NextLast

HerSisterKarwen responded:
Yes, it is important to let your psysch know. Just be up front about it the way you have been here. That is, about both the symptoms and the improvement you experienced. It will go a long way in ensuring that you are receiving not only the med that works best, but in the correct dosage for you. There has to be a trust between both of you. Honesty is the best way to get started on the right foot. That's what the doc is there for... to help. Keep in mind that sometimes it takes a bit of hopping around to find what will work best for you. In the end it is worth it, because it will help relieve the discomfort.. that and the talk.

Karen

newdayatdawn responded:
You are 19 and if you tell your dr. you tried adderral she will not give it to you. I am on antidpressants and I also take adderral recently due to my stress I cannot drive without dazing off so I need adderral to help me focus. My dr. did say it will have positive effects on my depression and it does. But it wares off as many other drugs do too so I went a higher dose and added regular adderral not xr to the mix. I have suffered from depression since I was a kid now I am 44. 19 was about when I realized something was wrong with me but I did not get help I used food as a mood stabilizer (not gaining weight but bulimia). Saying you do not want to be on antidepressents like your mother is well a ridiculous statement. If you are depressed you need to try something that may help. A stimulant is short acting and not for depression since you can't be on it 24-7. You will not be able to sleep and need higher doses. Never prescribed for depression. But honestly, the only medication that helps me get out of bed so if you really suffer from depression it has been a wonder drug for me added to an antidepressant. I hope you find releif soon.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
As a psychiatrist, don't lie.
Because if you are caught in a lie- perhaps the doc asks for a urine screen (i do a lot in my college age patients on stimulants) then you are busted and no one will believe you AND if they actually think you have ADHD they will never give you the adderal.
It is an addictive drug- if you have been addicted to things then you shouldnt be on it.
Certain medical problems, if you have them then shouldnt be on it. Adderal and others can cause sudden heart death...
So be honest so you dont get hurt.
I might give this to you if you are honest with me about it. are mature about it, etc.. I may also make you try non addictive things first as this is the standard or care in your age group.
Also- using others adderal is called diversion and is sometimes a sate or federal felony- not worth sharing and getting a record.
so- be honest, talk to your doc. In my experience the wellbutrin products increase the same chemicals as adderall but without the addiction- and it is an FDA antidepressant.
effexor, pristiq, cymbalta increase norepinephrine like the adhd med strattera... so there are options outside of adderall too

SFGiantsgirl responded:
Do not tell your doctor they will not give it to you. Instead explain how you are not motivated and lack energy etc.

shanabanana09 replied to SFGiantsgirl's response:
I think you should just explain to the doc about your inability to focus, and to pay attention. He'll probably prescribe adderall anyway. I used to take it, it did help me focus and I stayed so busy that I lost 15 lbs. And needed to lose a bit so I was happy about that, but it did make me easily aggitated, and sweaty sometimes. Just don't abuse it.
Bananas!!

cheesedips69 responded:
take meds if you need them..they will help especially as you age sysmptoms will emerge.

SFGiantsgirl replied to shanabanana09's response:
I would never tell your doctor you tried it because adderall is a upper and highly addictive. Instead explain how you lack energy etc. From what you have wrote it comes across as if your abusing them staying up all night is a no, no. I'm just being honest.

itseybitsey responded:
My advice is to stop taking others meds as they work differently on people.Also it is illegal.You need to be honest with your health care people but remember what you say or do will be in your records for life.It does have an impact on your life such as a career,relationships etc.As for as depression meds and your mother what didn't work for her shouldn't scare you as she may not have taken them as prescribed or didn't follow up with her mental health appts.Please, go to a mental health professional your too young and have a lot of life to live.You may have to go through a few doctors to find a good match for you. Don't end up like me,i waited instead of seeking the help i needed when i was young, now i'm old, poor and on disabilty.God Bless you and good luck!
Monica

faeirymoon responded:
I take Cybalta for depression for over 2 years now. Thank Goddess for it. My doctor also prescribed Adderall for me since I was having trouble concentrating still and it has made a huge difference. I take it as directed, 40mgs in the am which is 2 20's and 20mg in the afternoon. By the time bedtime comes it has worn off. I do have trouble sleeping and have for years but the adderall is not the problem because when I get lucky I can get some good zzzzz's in. Also I also have trouble sleeping during the full moon and even the new moon.I am a witch for over 30 years so I am really tuned into the moon's energy, but I think a lot of people are and just don't realize it. Well, I'm starting to ramble so good luck with your doctor and tell him why you need this medication. It worked for me maybe it will work for you too! Brightest Blessings to you!

faeirymoon replied to SFGiantsgirl's response:
I totally agree, you don't want to be known as a drug addict or drug seeker in your permanent medical records. That stuff follows you forever and your young.You might need pain meds or something someday and some doctor not all, might be skeptical because of your record. Do what SFGiantsgirl.says, she's right.

marysings responded:
Never lie to a doctor. Tell the truth about YOUR symptoms and the discovery you made when you tried Adderall. Because it can be addicting, the doctor may ask you to try something else. Be open and co-operative.

Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy!!
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

jade1005 replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:

Hi i have suffered with bulimia since i was 18, im now 44, so 26yrs. I have tried everything including prozac for 26yrs, which im stuck on at 150mg a day....rehab...councelors...accupuncture...cbtetc etc...My problem is i am in the UK and desperatly want to try adderall, but our doctors wont prescribe it....I have looked online and there are only scammers out there who insist I pay by western union or moneygram, which i wont do as its not safe to somebody I dont know.......please, please can you prescribe me some adderall xr and i could pay via paypal maybe??? I am stuck with this horrible disease and after 26yrs it is now more just a habit than always feeling down etc. Please please will you help me. Being in the UK my doctor is stuck, but said he would be willing to act on my behalf if I was able to order some from an international doctor. I have tried everything else available over 26years!!! so please dont suggest an alternative. Regards

alaska_mommy replied to jade1005's response:
There aren't doctors on this website who can prescribe you anything...I guess you might try contacting local doctor's offices and see what they say? My guess is that without actually seeing you in their office, they would not be able to prescribe you Adderall. It is a schedule II drug, meaning it has a high potential for abuse. It is an upper, in the same family as speed, from what I hear. I think you would find it very difficult to be prescribed this unless you physically went to a doctor and they thought it was the best medication for you.
I wouldn't recommend obtaining it illegally.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to jade1005's response:
Hi Jade1005 -

I just wanted to pop-in, add to alaska_mommy's suggestions and share the link for our Eating Disorders Community.

Please take a look to find good information and support.

Take Care,
Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

I m so horrible about my life right now
Actually I m manager of the bar, and everybody think I m a nice bartender, but I don`t feel happy to talk to people anymore, I feel I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.