Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Living with a depressed husband 9 years
algrrana posted:
This is a man that was charming, fun loving, compassionate, but I never saw the depression thing coming. Before we got married 9 years ago, I saw his hot temperedness, edginess and moodiness as just part of his personality, but what I didn't know is that he had clinical depression. He refuses meds, which I don't know will help him anyway. He yells at me all the time over the silliest things, critisizes me over everything and I am so tired of it. I gave him an ultimatum of either going to therapy or going back to his mom's house. He chose therapy. Well it is not helping. We have 2 small kids and I don't want them to be raised in an unhealthy environment with mom and dad yelling all the time. I don't know what to do. Help.

momuv4girls responded:
I don't know your exact situation, but truthfully it sounds like your husband needs not only therapy, but a good Psychiatrist.

Thats great he conceded to therapy, but he may need meds to even out his mood - - not just to talk.

Depression / mood issues are genetic and while therapy is a big piece to the puzzle, meds are often a requirement.

I would have a frank discussion with him and maybe his therapist too. Explain how you feel and what your life is like at home living with him, tell him about the yelling and the impact it is having on you and the children.

Take care, and I'm sorry you are going thru this *hugs*
-Kathleen

sweetypie295 responded:
Each of our situations are different & yet peices of them are the same.
I would recomend you get a therapist if you dont already have one so to you can better understand him & what you want & need.
The two of you may also want to see one together.

Another person posted this & it looks like it could help some of us. http://spousewithdepression.proboards.com/index.cgi

I wish you all the best.

((hug))

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.