Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Post Partum
Whatchacallit9231 posted:
I don't believe there to a be a "set" list of symtops that mothers display but I wanted to ask anyway?

My significant other has been having problems since our baby was born almost a year ago. I know that post pardum can last quite a while and I wanted your advice, I know nothing beats going to the doctor but it's difficult to get her to go. She doesn't want to believe anything is wrong with her like that.

Shes tired and sore all day even if she doesn't do anything. She's also depressed constantly. Somedays she says that shes tired of taking care of a baby, that its all her fault. But she also doesn't want to be without him. She also thinks thoughts of self harm and not wanting to get out of bed in the morning.

Any opinions?

momuv4girls responded:
This is really tough. Do you think she would read this book ?
http://www.amazon.com/Down-Came-Rain-Postpartum-Depression/dp/1401301894

Maybe you could purchase it and read it yourself, and see if she would too.

Could you make an appt. with her O.B. and go with her for support?

Depression like you describe is a chemical imbalance - She did not do this to herself, it was triggered by pregnancy/birth.
She needs to hear that.

Keep encouraging her, make a Dr. appt. for her (and you both go) and keep up the support, you sound like a loving partner.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Whatchacallit9231 replied to momuv4girls's response:
I've tried encouraging her. And I know that its not her fault that she feels that way. I think her main probelm with seeking help is a fear that she will lose our son which I know isn't the case.

I'll diffenately look into the book. They might have it at the library. But it does seem like something that every parent should read. Thank you for your advice.

momuv4girls replied to Whatchacallit9231's response:
Hi again,

Found a good article to read online about postpartum - - here it is:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/postpartum_depression.htm

I wish you the best in helping your partner get treatment.

-Kathleen

Whatchacallit9231 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you. I'm going to try to get her to take the quiz thats included in the article. Maybe it will help her see that she needs help dealing with this.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.