Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

new diagnosis
ladybird81 posted:
I don't have much energy and am going to make this quick. I just need to get this off my chest. I saw my pdoc today and I am not liking my new diagnosis. Things have drastically changed since getting out of hospital. Im being taken off lexapro and put on seroquel. I am nervous about starting a new med. Side effects? my new diagnosis includes bipolar disorder. I don't know what to believe. I need to do some research on this. I have alot of questions that need to be answered. Feeling really depressed tonight. I see my tdoc at the end of the week.

momuv4girls responded:
There is a WebMd bipolar board, and here's the link:

http://exchanges.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder-exchange

My daughter has taken seroquel XR for years with great results, but am wondering why pdoc didn't put you on a mood stabilizer med if he says you have Bipolar ?

I'd ask him about that at your next visit.

Take care,
-Kathleen

ladybird81 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Kathleen-
Is it common to be on 2 meds at the same time? I have a perscription for lithium and seroquel. Ive heard some bad things about the weight gain that can happen. Im just nervous and hate taking meds. Im trying to embrace this diagnosis. In a way it all kind of makes sense. Thank you for responding to my post

momuv4girls replied to ladybird81's response:
Sorry for my delay in response Ladybird !

Yes, it is more common than not to be on 2, or even 3-meds to control bipolar symptoms.
My daughter is on 3, with great success - Lamictal, risperdal and seroquel.

If your pdoc wrote a script for lithium then I'd follow his instruction. As for weight gain, it can happen, but with regular exercise and eating the same amount of food you do now, you shouldn't need to worry.
My daughter's pdoc always says "a stable brain chemistry is first and foremost".

Take care,
-Kathleen

An_239787 replied to ladybird81's response:
I just saw your post.
I need 2 medications. Celexa and Wellbutrin.
The Celexa has allowed me to control my hunger. I have lost 50 lbs. since Feb. when I started taking it.
Everyday, I can't wait to take them. I know that this combination has been a miracle for me. I hope it lasts.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.