Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Depression preventing spirituality
tkdbluegirl posted:
I have had major depression for about half my life (10-11 years). I often wonder about God (since I was raised in a Christian family). If there really is a god why would he allow such a horrible disease like depression? Why did he make a person that ends up hating themselves or wanting to kill themselves. How do other people keep their faith when suffering from depression?

AndieGirl responded:
It's changed my faith. I used to be what I considered a strong Christian until I went thru a nightmare in my 20's. I think it's good to question God & even question your beliefs. In your quest for answers you don't have to come up with the same conclusions that I do. Actually, I have more questions than answers.

That probably didn't answer your question. I wish I had the answer. I could use it.

Andie

barbarafromtucson responded:
This is a really tough question--not just about depression, but suffering in whatever form, and I don't believe none of us will know all the other questions until we've reached the other side.

I just read a book called "Life is Hard but God is Good" subtitle is "An inquiry into suffering"--which is a really good book--author is Adele J. Gonzalez--there are other books out there too...You could also contact your local church--sometimes pastors can help you make some sense of it and/or direct you to a Christian counselor to talk with. These counselors will often help you on a sliding scale if you don't have insurance.

I have depression as well as a physical health problem that doctors want to lable as "IBS"--both have questioned/tested my faith and it is still being tested...I deal best with it by AA saying--one day at a time.

God doesn't make anyone who hates him/her-self--all babies are happy and only cry when they are trying to communicate their needs (dietary/diaper/etc.).

When/if the baby doesn't get the needed afftection/attention, when the baby/child is given negative messages--from parents, teachers, etc--that can lead into a lot of the negative self-talk and low self-esteem.

I do not know your story. I was raised in a Christian home. However, my mom was verbally/emotionally abusive to me and was the kid that everyone picked on. I "knew" early on that I was unloveable, unwanted, etc. God didn't make me this way--it was the message that I got from parents/classmates/etc that told me this. And one's image of God is based on how their parents act (in general).

Your story might be different, so I encourage you to go to counseling or seek out books or info online that goes into the meaning of suffering.

Jesus was born a human--he expererienced *everything* that we experience, except for sin. Think of His passion--he was tortured, humiliated, rejected, and so on...He could have chosen another path--but He didn't out of His love for us. He knows what loneliness and rejection can be...you have a Partner in your suffering and what better one could you have?

When I am in my darkest moments, I try to reflect/think about Jesus's suffering. When I start thinking suicidal--my 'logic' kicks in--I know it's my depression, I know that "this too shall pass" and somehow I've gotten beyond that moment.

It's easier said than done...that's why you have to treat it as 'one day at a time'--even 'one moment at a time'...keep praying--even when you don't feel like praying...have at least one loved one to talk to and see your pastor and/or counselor.

It's a long Via DelaRosa...the joy in Heaven will make up for all the pain here on earth.

Will be praying for you!

sweetypie295 responded:
My 2 cents:
Heavenly Father loves you & know's what your going through he is there for you in good times & bad.
Why does he make his children suffer? To learn & grow...to know him better... gosh do you think
We need to get on our knees more then what we do ~ I know I do.
I know in the times that I struggle with whatever it may be I am praying more then ever.
He is always there we just need to ask with sincere heart opened mind. We may not be cured but we may see a little relief. He sends people, thoughts, thing's into our live to give us relief.
At time's I am praying for, Hope, love, understanding, Patient, charity & Peace.
Try & watch see what little things happen that help. Small & simple things. Watch and see how someone may smile, make a comment. I know my cats sometimes when I feel bad they come sit on my lap.
I read that animals have a direct link to god ~ I like that thought. Can you imagine god saying to your animal (if you have one) she needs a hug & your animal comes over & does whatever you need to make you feel a little better.
We are all given trials some seem worse then others & the ones others have I know I would rather have my own & we don't know excatly what trials everyone has some they hide.
~ I am so sorry you have depression I would never wish it on any one.
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Prov. 3:5—6.) That's the scripture that popped in my head.
I hope at least 1 thing I said can help.
Take Care, ((hug))

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.