Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Just Diagnosed, figuring out how to tell people
JRizzle86 posted:
I was diagnosed with depression and hypo-manic bipolar disorder just a week ago. So far, I've been able to tell family members (all supportive, of course), but I'm curious how other people broke the news to close friends and in their romantic life.

Any help would be great. This is still fresh and feels like I got hit by a ton of bricks so I can only imagine how others will react after being able to pretends everything's fine for so long...;

susiemargaret responded:
jello, J --

how did you tell your family?

i don't know how to answer this Q. i gradually told my friends that i took medication for depression, but i didn't usually bring it up until it came up -- if someone commented on my moods, for example, or when i was in a particularly down stage and had to explain why i couldn't/wouldn't go out.

i also was careful to emphasize that my medication seemed to work (if it does), and i emphasized the depression part rather than the bipolar II part. "bipolar" scares people, because it makes them think of wild and uncontrollable behavior. if it comes up, i am careful to emphasize that it manifests itself usually as irritability rather than mania.

i wish i had a more complete reply for you. i send you caring thoughts and hope you will be feeling better soon.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, J --

oops!

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Lukeperry replied to susiemargaret's response:
Hi Susie,

How are you doing? I was so happy when I saw your name on here, because it's been so long since we talked! I miss you! I finished my last radiation treatment 4 mo. ago. Now I have to decide if I want reconstructive surgery, or not. Sophie misses you also.

Love, Luke

Lukeperry responded:
Hi JR,

I'm sorry that the diagnosis is so upsetting to you. Aren't you kind of relieved to finally have a name for the problem? I wouldn't tell anybody, except my family, because it's nobody's business. You have a disease just like people who have leukemia, or something, and it can be controlled with medication, right? Don't worry about what other people think, you have enough to worry about, taking care of yourself.
I didn't tell people that I had cancer, because I didn't feel like having to explain anything, or answering a lot of questions. Plus I didn't want to see any kind of pity look. So I only told my family a very close friends.
God bless you. Your stronger then you know, and I feel like your going to handle this just as well as you've handled any other adversity in your life.
Luke

susiemargaret replied to Lukeperry's response:
hi, luke --

i sent you a private e-mail. i'm so glad to hear from you!

-- susie margaret

Lukeperry replied to susiemargaret's response:
Susie,
Check your email, I sent you something. The reason I'm telling you is because you DON'T always check it.

Love, Luke

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Group for Families and friends of people with depression
Since most of the family support sites are 404, I set one up for friends, family and spouses of people with depression. Actually, everyone ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.