Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
How do I know when I no longer need an anti-depressant?
Anon_40802 posted:
Hello:

I am very satisfied with my anti-depressants and how they are working. However, I was thinking there may be a time when I no longer need them. How will I know when to stop taking them?

Sandra

MarySings responded:
If you had diabetes and you felt really good because you took Metform, would you decide to go off the Metform? No, because you would know that the Metform is what it takes to keep your sugar levels even.

If you are on anti-depressants and they are making you feel good, why would you want to stop taking them? Your brain is missing chemicals necessary for you to keep your mood swings under control. The anti-depressants are helping you. Like diabetes, you may need to take the anti-depressants for the rest of your life.

And if you feel any shame because you are still taking meds for depression, stop. There is no shame in taking medicine for you feel better.

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

soaringsparkles replied to MarySings's response:
Hi Mary:

You are right there is no reason to take a person off anti-depressants if they are working. However, sometimes a person may no longer be depressed and no longer need to take the anti-depressants. When do you if this is the case?

Sandra

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Basic rules are
if this was your 1st depression ever and you have been symptom free greater than a year, consider a slow taper
if this is 2nd depression and free greater than 2-3 years consider a taper
if this is your 3rd or more depression, consider much longer term treatment\
Obviously every person's depression and risks are different, so speak with your doc as these guidelines are often modified...

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.