Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

TMS after ECT?
Anon_60487 posted:
Hello. I have had depression for over 13 years now. I have done talk therapy and have been on medications. I have been disabled because my depression is so severe. year or so ago I received ECT treatment. It was bilateral (both sides of my brain stimulated) however after 15 treatments I had not improved. Some people ask me if I thought about Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) I have read about it and I am interested. My insurance isn't covering it, but if it helps it is worth any price. I am worried that if ECT did not work that TMS will not then either. Does anyone know?

susiemargaret responded:
hello, A647 --

i am so sorry you've had such a terrible time.

from doing some admittedly quickie research this afternoon, the consensus seems to be that if ECT does not help, TMS will not help. however, i am not a medical person.

take a look at this article from a psychiatrist at the mayo clinic -- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/transcranial-magnetic-stimulation/MY01605 .

i wish i could be more encouraging.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

USTC212 replied to susiemargaret's response:
Hello,

I am a TMS Coordinator at the Union Square TMS Center in Manhattan, NY. We have not found this to be true in our practice. One of our patients who responded fastest and most drastically had previously failed ECT. The mechanism of action is completely different and the efficacy of TMS has never been studied in patients who have previously failed ECT.

I hope that this information finds you well.

Andrew Gregory
Union Square TMS Center
www.unionsquaretms.com

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.