Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Welcome Newbies and Let's Check In!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
I just wanted to welcome all our new members here!

Let's check in. Who's here, what are your plans this weekend? Are you handling the upcoming holiday coming up next week? What can you do to prepare yourself to handle the week a bit better?
Chrissy~

When the world says, Give up,
Hope whispers, Try it one more time.
~Author Unknown

JHFrancisco responded:
I just signed up to post, but have been reading some community letters for a few years. I guess what triggered me to post is the holidays. I HATE THEM! I know I have so much to be grateful for. I know my circumstances are not near as bad as some, but I dread the holidays more every year. I have a beautiful, healthy, active & happy 22 year old daughter. I have a full time job, a few close friends, a dog that lets me love her, but I am so alone during the holidays...I feel like an outcast. My daughter is in a serious relationship, so all holidays now are centered around her boyfriend's family's plans & her dad's family's plans, which leaves-maybe-an hour or so for me, but I feel squeezed in & a burden that she has to squeeze me in. We are very close, so she can be honest with me about stressing over trying to make everybody happy...which, whether she means to or not, tells me.."mom please don't add to my stress by expecting much of my time". My only close relative is 8 hours away & my car couldn't get me there if I did decide to take off to see him. My furniture is a mess (because of my dog), so there's no way I will allow anyone other than my daughter/boyfriend in my place. I don't have extra money to buy gifts, or even to buy all the extra groceries to fix a nice holiday dinner. I just want to hide in my home, blinds closed & wait till January 1 (after everybody's New Years Eve celebrations that they get to have/attend). I struggle all year long to make myself project a positive attitude & smile, it's just around the holidays I see, & feel to my core, how very lonely I am, and how miserable my life is.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to JHFrancisco's response:
Hi JH!

Welcome hon, I'm glad you decided to post

Have you tried sharing this with your daughter. She may be so distracted with the new boyfriend that she's not realizing how you are feeling. I'm sorry you are feeling so alone, I understand how the holidays can be.

Glad you found us. Let's all get through next week a day at a time.
Chrissy~

When the world says, Give up,
Hope whispers, Try it one more time.
~Author Unknown

DSGrev replied to JHFrancisco's response:
I am the same way. VERY LONELY. And the holidays make it worse. Don't have much family. My brother and his wife are going to New York for Thanksgiving to visit his wife's son and family. My oldest son is in the Marine Corps in California and my youngest son goes to his mother's for Thanksgiving. So I'm just glad there is football on television. I can watch the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas A&M game. One is at 3 p.m. and the other at 7 p.m. so that will take up most of my time. But it's still a lonely day. But glad I found this site. And hang in the JHFrancisco. We'll get through the day. Happy Thanksgiving.

Cindigal replied to JHFrancisco's response:
I hear you .....I feel the same, I tolerate the Holidays even though I do have a big family. We are separated in different states but I do have my son and wife and granddaughter whos is so precious to me. They live away 5 miles away. But they go to the wives family on Thanksgiving..you know how it goes. As a matter of fact, I hardly see his wife hardly ever. I see my son and my granddaughter once a week and she will be working that day.

I don't drive and my son will pick me up and bring me to his house and cook dinner for us and bring me home and I wont see his wife cause she still is working. Occasionally I will see her in a blue moon. I saw her on Halloween when they went with my granddaughter trick and treating. Soo I am cooking my own dinner tomorrow, got a 4 lb turkey breast...and will cook real cranberries and stuffing and sweet potatoes will have leftovers for over a week. I am no stranger to being alone....was married for 13 years though and I still chat with ex occasionally. We don't harbor any harbor ill feelings towards to each other. He lives in AZ and I live in IL and he knows my situation.

cindigal

peaceforLaura responded:
im a severyly depressed 44 year old woman named Laura. im hoping i can help and get help with this site.
Thanks so much.
Laura

VanessaC512 replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
"Let's all get through next week a day at a time."

I was diagnosed with MDD 3 years ago and have undergone every type of treatment available since then. Whenever I start to feel overwhelmed I repeat to myself "One day at a time" and it helps put life into perspective for me. Looking ahead and obsessing over upcoming holidays or bills that are do does no good and sometimes I just need to remind myself to live in the present so I'm not stressing about the future.

-Vanessa

Ashley_T_ responded:
Hello

Just stopping by to introduce myself. I'm a 25 year old female who has been diagnosed with Dysthymia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I try not to think too much about the holidays but am beginning to get quite stressed!!

An_240333 responded:
As the holidays approach, I find myself less able to deal with them. I have been horribly depressed the past couple days....yes, I'm doing all the right things - exercising, meds, being social....still, I feel like I'm less of a person and more of an abstraction with every passing day.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.