Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Paxil withdrawal
Cindyrobin posted:
thank you all sooooooooooooooo much for your input. Very much appreciated. Unfortunatley I could not get a psychiatrist with the insurance I have and I have a nurse practioner. i did call her as all of you have suggested and she gave me NO guidance whatsoever. Thankfully I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor so I have some knowledge of withdrawing from meds but not enough to do this without expert guidance. I knew enough to know she was wrong. SO I did contact my pharmacist and she would not tell me ANYTHING! she said it was a liability issue and I would have to ask my prescribing doc. Can you believe this! I am so sick of everyone being so afraid of liability. What they don't seem to realize is without an expert source of info I could have very well comitted suicide. Where's the liability there?????????????? Disgusting.

Anyway I tolerated almost every single symtom some of you described for about 2 weeks. They are now becoming less and easier to tolerate. But my message to ALL of you on here.....question everything. Be aware that not all docs or NP's know what they are doing. Rely on your intuition. If something doesn't seem right to you, it probably isn't. Dont be intimidated by medical degress. Psycotropic meds are tricky. Everyone responds differently and there is no way for anyone to know until you go through hell trying to get the right med or combination.

I also adivse all of my clients, that if you are prescribed several meds, do not take more than one at a time. This way you can better determine which one is giving you problems. And it is surprising to me the number of medical "professionals" who do not tell their patients that.

In the end, I did unfortunately have to suffer with withdrawing too quickly because my NP just did not give me ANY guidance despite my efforts to get that from her. So believe you me, I will be looking for someone else. And if I had my way, she would be out of a job and never allowed to practice again. So I again, I urge all of you, do your research with a reliable and trusted source. don't assume that people who are allowed to prescribe know everything. They don't.

Thanks a million for your responses. I so appreciate it. And I am grateful for this website. Blessings to you all.

Cindyrobin

susiemargaret responded:
hello, C --

i am so, so sorry you had to suffer thru such horrible withdrawal symptoms in withdrawing from paxil. it seems completely outrageous that you could not get any medical advice on how to do this.

i send you caring thoughts and hope you will have an easier time of it from now on.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Cindyrobin replied to susiemargaret's response:
Thank you. Yes it is getting better, tolerable now. But you are right, i should have been able to get that info from the prescriber. Pretty sad. I justhope no permanent damage has been done to my brain and body.
Thanks again for the caring thoughts and words.
Cindyrobin

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

What has helped me with my depression
I have always struggled with depression. After trying meds and therapy I have to say that I have finally found something that helps. This ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.