Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Parkinsons Disease & Depression
mlovelola87 posted:
does anyone have any input/advice on depression with PD? my mother is only 43 and was diagnosed 3 years ago. Her symptoms are still in stage 1, but seem to be progressing badly. I am not around her a lot, but I have noticed her moods have seem to changed and outlook on things. If anyone is dealing with the same thing or knows of anything to help, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

lukeperry responded:
Hello,

Your mom is terrified and she knows that the Parkinson's is getting worse. After hearing that she had a incurable disease, that only gets worse over time. She probably went into shock, then she started seeing it progressing. She must feel so lost and alone and of course depressed. She needs some kind of support, is there a Parkinson's Support group in her area, or check on line. There is a lady on here who could explain Parkinson's a lot better then me. Ask her, susiemargaret directly. If you can't do that, post it on here to susiemargaret. She's the best!

susiemargaret replied to lukeperry's response:
hello, luke --

thanks for the vote of confidence!

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, M --

while i heartily appreciate luke's vote of confidence, i'm not sure i'm the best person to explain parkinson's!

let me make two suggestions --

(1) check out the parkinson's disease health center on this site, http://www.webmd.com/parkinsons-disease/default.htm (be sure to look at all of the sections, which are listed in blue on the left under the green title "parkinson's disease home"), and

(2) check out the parkinson's disease guide on this site, http://www.webmd.com/parkinsons-disease/guide/default.htm (be sure to look at all of the sections, which are listed in blue on the left under the green title "parkinson's disease guide").

is your mother under the care of a neurologist? if she is not, she needs to be, preferably one who specializes in movement disorders. a neurologist can explain what is happening and what is likely to happen much better than i can, esp because s/he will be able to take into account your mother's current symptoms.

you say that your mother's moods and her outlook have changed. depression is very common in people with parkinson's disease; take a look at http://www.pdf.org/en/combating_depression . her neurologist, or perhaps her primary-care dr, may be able to refer your mother to a counselor who can help her learn to come to terms and cope better with her PD; your mother might also benefit from a referral to a psychiatrist for an assessment of whether psych meds might help (i say "psychiatrist" deliberately because psychiatrists usually know more about psych meds than other drs do).

i hope others will respond to your post as well. i send you and your mother caring thoughts and hope you will keep us posted on how the two of you are doing.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

susiemargaret responded:
hello again, M --

i just noticed that you posted this in the depression community. you may also want to post it in the parkinson's disease community, http://exchanges.webmd.com/parkinsons-disease-exchange , where we have a wonderful expert on-board, dr. stacy.

-- susie margaret

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.