Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Remeron and Wellbutrin
louisesexton posted:
Does anyone have any experience being on a remeron/wellbutrin combination for the treatment of depression? My doctor suggested that I could try this combination if I want. Right now I am just on Remeron. Thanks!

susiemargaret responded:
hello, louise --

according to the interactions checker at http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1640-1015,440-203 , remeron/mirtazapine and wellbutrin/bupropion should not be taken together because each of them increases the possibility that you will have a seizure and thus their collective effect makes seizures even more likely (see PS). nonetheless, the recommendation on that website is that if these meds are taken simultaneously, the patient needs to be "monitored closely."

you should know, however, that on several other interactions sites, i found no reference to interactions between these meds. i'm not sure what to think about this inconsistency! if it were me, i would take more seriously the info about the risk of seizures than the info on the sites that show nothing. i am not a medical person, tho.

if you bring up this risk to your dr, i think it would not be wise to say that some woman on the internet said you should not take this combination. you might want to say instead that you learned this info thru your own research, which will be absolutely true if you check out the links i've cited.

i hope this helps.

-- susie margaret

PS -- webMD info on this possibility is at http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-4047-MIRTAZAPINE - ORAL.aspx?drugid=13706&drugname=mirtazapine Oral&source=2&dmid=1344&dmtitle=ANTIDEPRESSANTS%2fBUPROPION&intrtype=DRUG&pagenumber=9 and http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-155-BUPROPION - ORAL.aspx?drugid=13507&drugname=bupropion HCl Oral&source=2&dmid=1344&dmtitle=BUPROPION%2fANTIDEPRESSANTS&intrtype=DRUG&pagenumber=9 . on webMD, the risk of increasing the chance of seizures is characterized as "moderate."
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

louisesexton replied to susiemargaret's response:
Thanks for your reply. I think she was just putting it out as an option, but I have been trying to use my skills that I learned when I was in intense dialectical behavioral therapy instead which I would prefer anyway. Also she tends to be a more conservative doctor when it comes to medications.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.