Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

getting out
poolspark posted:
its so hard to leave the house some times , its like all the up and downs. it sucks. any ideas would help

soulkeepers responded:
Hi poolspark,

I try to get out a little at a time.Prepare myself like just stepping outside for some fresh air.The time I'll go a little more probably get the mail and each day I extend my outings a little more.You can do it your own pace and practice each day and then before you know you're out and about without even thinking about it.

I'm trying to get out more myself besides just going to the docs.I've been isolating for the past four months due to my depression and other things.You can do this just get out a little at a time no rush or pressure,at your pace.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Poolspark and welcome.

Are you seeing a doctor for your depression or the fact that you are having trouble getting out? I'm sorry you are in a bad place right now. I hope it helps to talk things out a bit here.
Again, welcome!
Chrissy~

When the world says, Give up,
Hope whispers, Try it one more time.
~Author Unknown

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to soulkeepers's response:
Great ideas, taking baby steps if you will, great advice Soulkeepers! I'm keeping you both in my thoughts!
Chrissy~

When the world says, Give up,
Hope whispers, Try it one more time.
~Author Unknown

jim531 responded:
My tough time is first thing in the morning. I'm irritable, anxious, and feel like going right back to bed. I know its imperative that I fight off the urge to go back to bed so I use the only caffeine that I take all day, first thing. Then I drag myself outside and immediately start feeling better when I'm out in the sunlight. I go on a run or bike ride knowing how much better I'll feel after aerobic exercise. The rest of my day goes much better than the way it started. Hope this helps.

1Lantana responded:
Getting out is a critical part of dealing with depression. Try to walk a little every day, even if you can only make it to the end of the block and back again. Set a manageable goal for yourself that you can easily meet, and then see if each day you can do a little more. "Today I can walk for 2 minutes. Tomorrow I will try for 3 minutes." Build on your successes, even it they are small ones to begin with.

debgil responded:
I began by gardening and other solitary pursuits, then moved on to the health club and other places where I could be among people but not needing to interact with them, keeping quiet and avoiding eye contact. Now I have volunteered at the food bank and am taking a class. I'm not scared to leave the house like I was a year ago. I'm still not a 'social' person, but life is better. Baby steps, at my own pace.

DEC122 replied to debgil's response:
I don't have problems going out but I have trouble interacting with others. I have a social phobia with my depression. I want to talk to others, I want to meet new people but I just don't know what to say or how to continue a conversation. It seems so easy for others and it is so difficult for me. It leads to my lonliness and to the depression I have.

debgil replied to DEC122's response:
I am still flummoxed by walking into a social setting cold, but my chatting skills are improving. I suggest you don't force yourself into going to a bar or party, but if you do, everyone likes a good listener. Remember to provide comments to encourage the talker.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.