Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Switching from Abilfy to RISPERIDONE
Lis11 posted:
I currently can not afford the cost of abilify so my dr is switching me to risperidone, has anyone been on this med before and could offer some advice or support?

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi
it is a good med. May have more weight gain, risk of muscle shakes/twitches, cholesterol or sugar problems. It is approved for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, but is sometimes used for depression and anxiety...

jesswolfe responded:
I was on Risperdone for a long time for anxiety and impulse control related to PTSD. It worked great however I did eventually have side effects like high prolacin levels and extrapyramidal tension problems. So I ended up taking other meds that were incredibly expensive to treat the side effects.

However, these side effects happen with all of the new antipsychotics so its a risk either way.

Jessica

ramesh140043 replied to jesswolfe's response:

I was on Effexor for a severe depression for over 6 months and I did not see any improvement in my symptoms. I studied this medicine on ABOUT.COM GROUP and reduced the amount very gradually against the advice of Physician. Later the company that made Effexor came out A REDUCTION SCHASDULE so that this drug could be safely stopped from its use.

WHEN I CHANGED my thought process and my behavior the Depression disappeared. Unless we change our irrationals thoughts and our emotional and impulsive behavior Drugs will not accomplish diddlysquat in our well being.

My own recovery has encouraged me to develop a support group called sounds of the heart for not only the solutions of depression but also a recovery process for any human emotional problem.

Somehow the psychotherapist and the psychiatrists are advocating the easy approach of prescription of drugs as advertised by their respective drug companies. This approach makes a patient livable with her or his relatives but does nothing to improve the mental function of the patient.

In the last part of this letter I would lie to stress the point that nothing is achieved without the help of someone concerned and without experiencing a pain to correct our thoughts and our behavior. NO PAIN NO GAIN HAS BEEN ECHOED FROM THE GRAVES OF ALL OUR ANCESTORS.

Ramesh c. Gupta M.D.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Group for Families and friends of people with depression
Since most of the family support sites are 404, I set one up for friends, family and spouses of people with depression. Actually, everyone ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.