Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

dealing with my wifes postpartum depression
An_243782 posted:
can anyone please tell me w
how to help my wife get through this

momuv4girls responded:
Encourage her to talk to her Dr. about her depression, she may need medication and/or someone to talk to outside the home.

This is a link for the book Brooke Shield's wrote about her battle with postpartum depression. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Down-Came-Rain-Depression-Recovery/dp/071814841X

Maybe reading it will give you (and your wife) some insight and let her know she's not alone in her struggles.

Take care!
-Kathleen

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome,

I'm sorry you and your wife are having a rough time. Yes, as our other member Momuv4girls, has suggested it's a good idea to encourage her to get some help. Make sure she gets to the doc or even mentions it to her OB/GYN. He/she will point her in the right direction. Please see the slideshow from WebMD that I have posted on the top of this page about this very thing.
I hope that helps. Please check in with us as you can.
Best of luck to you both and congrats on the new baby!
Chrissy~

When the world says, Give up,
Hope whispers, Try it one more time.
~Author Unknown

sweetypie295 responded:
http://studio5.ksl.com/?nid=71&sid=19346179
Studio 5 - Five Normal Feelings a New Mom has after Giving Birth The birth of a baby can trigger a roller coaster of emotions for new moms. I thought this may help some.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
102 of 140 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.