Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Mild Depression or Hypochondriac? Help.
An_243830 posted:
Here's my story..I'm so confused and don't know what to do. I even feel silly for posting this, but I don't want to talk to anyone about it...My boyfriend left for North Dakota about two weeks ago, for a job that's going to be for another two weeks or so...the day he left I was fine, I've been missing him but not to where I'm feeling that I'm sad becuase he's gone, if that makes any sense. And I talk to him on a daily basis, and we text almost all day. Anyways, the past week, my coworkers and my roomates say I've been acting different, that I'm not my normal peppy, outgoing sef, that I'm pretty reserved and that I don't get out of the house enough...mind you I have two jobs so I don't get THAT much freetime in the first place. But I have never had anyone say something to me like that before. I'm always super friendly and happy, even when I am sad, I make it a point to act happy becuause then I will eventually feel it. I feel extremely isolated though. I've had a couple days off and my friends will ask me to hang out, and today I made up the excuse that I was sick so I could break plans..and just sit at home bymyself. People irritate me really bad, I start crying out of no where, I had what it felt like a breakdown last night that came out of no where. Going to the gym has always been one of my favorite things to do, no matter what, when I'm sad it makes me feel better, when I'm mad it makes me feel better...but I've suddendly lost interest in going, and when I do try to go, I work out for a half hour and then start to feel neaseaus. I also looooove sleeping, and if the TV is even on, I usually pass out but Lately, I've had to take multiple sleeping pills, melatonin pills, and bedtime tea, to even get me into bed...and even with all those pills in my system, i still wake up multiple times in the middle of the night and I'm waking up without my alarm early in the morning. All these things that I've been feeling are NOT me...AT ALL. And looking at mild depression symptoms, i'm going down the list and each one describes how I feel, then I start crying as I'm reading them! I don't know what to do...i feel more than sad...but not suicidal...whatsoever. I Just don't know what to think, and I don't want to go to a doctor and have them think I'm just crazy or being immature and paranoid...and I don't want to talk to anyone I know becuase they will just think i'm exaggerating and I don't want anyone thinking I'm stupid...could any expert out there help me?

Kate_Te responded:
Hi there-
You sound like you are going through a period of depression. I am not a doctor & cant diagnose you, but I am depressed and I can relate to your symptoms. 1st and foremost: being depressed is not the same as being crazy.

You are sad, you have a reason to be sad (your boyfriend is away). Seeing a doctor before it becomes Major Depression is the right step. I'd recommend a psychiatrist, but a primary care doctor can help as well.

Always being the cheery one can be isolating, because when you are down there is no one to pick you up. Please talk to a doctor or therapist, there are things that can help, talk therapy, medications, etc. & keep posting here, let us know how you are doing.

I know just knowing that there are others out there going through similar situations has helped me.

Good Luck.
Kate

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
So- this could be an adjustment or stress reaction to your temporary separation. If you can manage til he comes back and you perk up then this was just stress...If you are grumpy but functioning at work then this is not a major or severe depression as yet. If you do not want to wait til he gets back, pethaps make an appt with your general doc to discuss difference between the blues and depression or ask he/she to refer you to a counselor/therapist to make this determination..

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.