Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Viibryd Interaction Question
KeithGMartin posted:
I just started Viibryd 2 days ago - of course it hasn't had enough time to get into my system. But I was taking Buspar; I stopped it for 2 days and thought I would die. Still have no energy among many other things. Does anyone know if Viibryd and Buspar can be taken together. I started taking the Buspar again after talking with my physician (along with the Viibryd). Some improvement but very little. Thank you.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, K --

viibryd/vilazodone (see PS1) and buspar/buspirone (PS2) both contain serotonin, so taking them together creates the risk of serotonin syndrome, a condition where there is too much serotonin in the body. this can create heart problems, muscle rigidity, fever, and seizures. if you begin to suffer from serotonin syndrome, it will most likely happen shortly after you start taking the relevant meds or after increasing your dosage; however, it can also develop over several months.

how long had you been taking the buspar? it can cause withdrawal symptoms, so if you decide to stop taking it again, you may want to reduce your dosage gradually instead of quitting all at once.

i'm sure you already know that you should not eat or drink grapefruit products while you are taking buspar. this can increase blood levels of buspar, which can aggravate its side effects, esp drowsiness.

i hope you will begin to feel better soon; please keep us posted on how you are doing.

-- susie margaret

PS1 -- webMD info on viibryd/vilazodone is at http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-155880-Viibryd Oral.aspx?drugid=155880&drugname=Viibryd Oral&source=2 .

PS2 -- webMD info on buspar/buspirone is at http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-9036-BuSpar Oral.aspx?drugid=9036&drugname=BuSpar Oral&source=2 .
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
interestingly, your viibryd has a stronger version of buspar actually built into it... so you are taking buspar essentially while you are on viibryd. I would not mix them together as such

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.