Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

So Depressed
downfall posted:
[TRIGGER] I am so very depressed and unhappy with my life. I had been at a job that I was not happy with and made a job chnage for a better opportunity amd more income, however the company that I was to work for decided not to open an office in Cleveland and now I have no job whatsoever. I am 60 yeras old and between the job market and my age no one is going to hire me. I am currently on anti-depressant medication and am seeking counseling however I feel such self-worth, helplessness, a failure, usless and regretting the past that I am ready to take my own life. I have so much anxiety about the future that I cannot even think straight, I cannot even get up in the morning since I have nowhere to go and nothing to do, all my self-worth is tied up in a job. My husband is working and is very supportive.

I beat myself up constantly regarding this matter and don't know where to turn anymore, I just want to end it all, as no one knows how I feel. I constantly worry about our financial situation.

NOW I HAVE NOTHING

PLEASE HELP

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Downfall,

I am so sorry for all you're dealing with right now. You are doing the right thing in reaching out here and for pursuing counseling. Counseling really can help you find your way again. You have a supportive husband and you still have a life to lead.

Please don't act on how dark you are feeling right now, other than to motivate you to continue to take steps to get the help you need and deserve.

You also may want to look into support groups in your area, as well as talking here. You will find you are not alone after all.

And if you need help keeping yourself safe, please call a crisis line .

jim531 responded:
I'm sorry you are in such despair over your job situation. Try to remember that the poor economy the last few years has put many millions of people in the same situation as you. Hiring is picking up now so there is hope. In the meantime what about volunteer work? You'd be surprised at how good it makes feel to help other people. This would give you a reason to get up everyday and help your self esteem until you can land a paying job again. Best of luck.

downfall replied to jim531's response:
Jum531

Thank you for responding and your input. It was very hepful to me.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.