Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Am I depressed? I'm confused
MiaGru posted:
I came down with what appeared to be the flu almost 4 weeks ago. After 5 days, most of my flu symptoms were gone - but I continued to feel fatigued, dizzy, disconnected & just not myself, in addition to losing my appetite. My doctor had put me on Amoxicillin with Augmentin, & a steroid shot for my sinus & ear pressure. This made me very nauseous, and dizzy. I went to the ER & they ran bloodwork & CT scan - but found nothing out of the ordinary.
Now these last 2 weeks or so, I've been feeling like I'm never going to get back to good health. I wake up feeling jittery, I see lights that seem to flicker in my peripheral vision, I'm slightly nauseous, lightheaded. Since I have low blood pressure, I know I need to eat - although nothing seems like a good choice. I've lost 8 lbs this month unintentionally.
My doctor can't find anything wrong with me, and has suggested I might have depression. But I don't have a cause! What's making me feel depressed is this ongoing feeling of "not well", that no one can seem to help me with.
My stomach can handle protein, but oatmeal seems to disagree. I vomit. I feel like Im ready to cry at the drop of a hat, especially in the morning - but towards the afternoon and evening I can feel OK.
I know I'm rambling, but I'm so confused. Can you have depression with out a cause? Does that cause stomach upset for particular kinds of food? help.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hello- yes it is confusing. A real bad flu infection tends to wipe folks out for a week of fever, a week of bad cold symptoms and 1-2 more weeks to recover from all of this, sleep deprivation, etc. After this we play catch up at home and work and get stressed. So this can be 100% flu. Stay hydrated and eat well and bounce back.
Could you have a depression without a 'cause' yes. Happens all the time. Why do some people get an appendicitis and others don't? Some develop depression, others do not.
Have your general doctor refer you to a psychologist or psychiatrist to better tease out if it is a depression or not.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.