Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Question on Meds
Kiagirl21 posted:
So I have been taking Zoloft (Streteraline) 200mg for about two years now- for the most part I like it-I was put on 75mg of Welbutrin (Buporin) to help with my concentration/ ADHD it helped but I had been thinking for awhile now that I wanted to increase it- my Dr agreed and is working me up to 300mg a day - is this too much with the Zoloft? Should I cut down the dose on the Zoloft or should I just keep it the same?
A.B. Wood

alaska_mommy responded:
From what I understand Wellbutrin is one that you take in addition to other antidepressants. So long as your doctor knows what all you are taking, i.e. the Zoloft and amount of the dose, you shouldn't have to worry about it. If you wanted to double check, you could ask your pharmacist, they are usually pretty knowledgeable about meds. But I would say if the 200mg Zoloft plus the 75mg Wellbutrin is not enough, and you are upping the Wellbutrin, then definitely keep the Zoloft where it is so you have the coverage you need.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, AB --

you need to talk with your dr about this.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi- great question! Sertraline is a serotonin only med. Wellbutrin is a norepinephrine dopamine med. This is one of the most often used combos in psychiatry as the brain transmitters above are complimentary and often times they cancel each other's side effects away. The full dose range of wellbutrin is 400-450mg so even at 300mg you are in the middle.
You could talk to your doc to lower the zoloft some, if that make you comfortable, but I would not lower it too low or you invite depression back

jimmmysmith replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
does remeron, celexa pose a risk to a recoverying alcholic?

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.