Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Saphris?
saved4good posted:
Hi, I am starting this as I see no post since 2010 for this drug. i have been diag. bipolar 20+ years. I have been sensitive to a lOt of meds. I have tried the AAP's before with..abilify, severe anxiety and stiff muscles, trouble breathing and insomnia. Like it was an al night panic attack. Then there was Zyprexa, Tongue swollen, hard to speak. Dry mouth, RLS. Geodon, severe tardive dyskinesia. I tried seroquel the other night and had extreme fast heart rate, labored breathing, low blood pressure laying down and high when trying to stand. Then the back arching and spastic. Doctor said to quit that and now try saphris. I am not sure if I want to try fate again on this. I used to be stabilized on Pemeron and tegretol. I became allergic (wheezing) on tegretol with a lOt of fluid too. Also had weird brain lightening jolt pain a few days after seroquel. I am on lamictal now and it causes such a stiff neck. Any suggestions? Oh, I went through a rapid detox, of sorts last year from xanax. In hospital, different doctor decided to wean me off in 9 days. From being on it 27 years! And I have had a tough time getting stable at anything since. I want to give up. But struggle everyday. Yep, I am depressed and trying to muddle through the maze to get my life back. Thanks.

alaska_mommy responded:
Wow I'm so sorry you're going through this. I can't imagine having so many allergic reactions to so many meds. I can understand not wanting to tempt fate with another one! Do you have anyone at home with you while you will be trying this new medication? If not I would maybe see if you can get a family member or a friend to stay with you just in case you have a bad reaction and need help.
I've heard of the lightning jolt sensations with certain antidepressants (I think they call them "brain zaps" in layman's terms).
I can't say as I have any medical advice for you, as I have never had those kinds of reactions to meds before. But definitely keep in close contact with your doctor and stay safe!

niteflier responded:
welcome save4good, hate you are going through all of this. I do not have bipolar, but have taken the xanax before. once it showed to be effective and knowing i would have to take it for a long period of time (for panic attacks) i was taken off the xanax and put on clonazapam and found it to be effective enough to get me through the panic attacks, just not as quick acting as xanax.

i hope this was helpful. I have not tried the other meds, nor been alergic to medication to that extreme. I cant even imagine what you are going through.

hang in there and please keep posting to let us know how you are doing.
Niteflier

Perhaps the Animal Spirit is so great that one day it may inspire compassion in the human heart. Nan Sea Love

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Saphris is a good med and comparable to the others (geodon, zyprexa family). If you had bona fide tardive dyskinesia, why tempt fate on a similar med?
It is odd you are sensitive to every med too. Perhaps ask to have your p450 liver enzyme system tested to see if you are prone to drug reactions, if not it is possible some of these are real side effects and some are anxiety attacks.
Lithium is a classic treatment unrelated to the others you mention... Why would lamictal cause a stiff neck? That sounds more like saphris, geodon etc..?
My advice might be to get off your meds under a doctor's care and start from scratch to get all meds out of your system perhaps.
I would also suggest that you get a very good work up to better define if you are a bipolar I (if so you need these type of meds) versus a Bipolar II or someone with personality and mood swings where you may not....

saved4good replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
OH, it was bona fide tasdive dyskinesia. It started in the hospital upon starting Geodon. I was put on Cogentin 3 times a day to try to relieve symptoms. All in hospital. After discharge, the doctor took me off the Geodon and then started with anbother med. I was also on the Zyprexa, one dose in hospital with those RLS. Also, I was given trazodone and it "woke me uop and I was walking the halls singing that night" reg. antidepressants seem to do that to me. I changed back to my other MHNP, who I had been seeing prior to the M.D. at the psych hospital.
I was on Lithium a long time ago and did okay for years. Do not know why I got changed. I was still working back then. I meant to say Remeron in the earlier post. I did have congestive heart failure and was on Bumex and lanoxin years ago then I hadf a pericardial cyst removed off the right atrium. It helped the breathing trouble a lot but iIhad a panic attack in the hospital and refused an IVP of lanoxin and was discharged later not on it. I had a complete extensive work up by psychologist, testing and all. results showed MDD with severe anxiety vs possible bi-polar. I know I have been depressed, severely. I know about the agoraphobiac panic stuff. I live it.
Also, did I mention the pituitary adeoma I have also. I see an endocrinoligist now. Also I see a neurologist for some of the problems. A hormonal mess.
I have a husband with me. When I have had med problems, I was not taken to E.R. but told to just wait it out. I was on depakote and got real sick. Don't know what was wrong. Just was told that 'if it keeps up, I will take you to the hospital". Well, I stopped it and got better. Then I was tried on Lithium again. I urinated a lot and felkt as if someone had given me a valium. ! Two days later, I was feeling like I ws barely alive. It was probably my sodium. But again, no one took me to the doctor. He is the only person i have had to help me. Hmm, that is another story. I am waiting to see a real M.D. at the MH clinic and will try to let them figure it out. I will keep an update on here. I have had stiff neck with swollen lymph nodes, frequent infections on Lamictal before but at the point I was given it again, I was depressed to the point I did not care. My husband also suggested I try this med again. I had lost 60 lbs. before on it. Hmm. Not now. How do I have my p450 liver enzyme tested? is it a regular liver enzyme test or a specific one. I see my primary care doctor tomorrow.

saved4good replied to niteflier's response:
I never thought about allergies. I was just told I was sensitive to a lot. I am trying to hang in there. I actually have faith in God that He will get me through this. Or take me home. .

saved4good replied to alaska_mommy's response:
Yes, the brain zaps are eased today, thank God. I have had them before on getting off Lamictal. It may not be the lamictal but I would like a professional to help me on or off a med. Anxirty is a big problem . Also, i have developed a phobia towards meds. It may be a psychosomatic thing with meds. now? I will seek counseling to see. Thanks for replying.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, S --

webMD info on saphris/asenapine is at http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-152900-asenapine SL.aspx?drugid=152900&drugname=asenapine SL&source=2 .

reviews from other users are at http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drugreview-152900-asenapine SL.aspx?drugid=152900&drugname=asenapine SL&sortby=3 .

as far as i can tell, it will not be available in generic form for at least a couple of years. if someone has info to the contrary, please chime in!

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

alaska_mommy replied to saved4good's response:
I can totally understand a phobia toward meds! I sure would have one too! I'm sorry your husband is not more supportive of your health. I hope you find something that works for you!

saved4good replied to alaska_mommy's response:
THANKS

Beetle56 responded:
Hi, saved4good,
Although I'm only medicated for depression (and various other mental health issues!), my husband was diagnosed bipolar, back when it was manic-depression, in 1978. He did well on lithium for 20 yrs., then ran into kidney problems/diabetes insipidious from it. He tried several others, reactions to all, til his psychiatrist tried Depakote...what a lifesaver!! No reaction, no side effects & it has made an incredible difference in his moods--on a real even keel. I couldn't believe the difference in his day-to-day moods. Depakote is actually classified as a "seizure med", but it has worked wonders & there's not the freq. bloodwork that went with lithium. I don't know if you've tried it, but it has worked well for us. For severe, clinical depression, I've had good luck with Doxepin Hydrochloride--it's an old drug, but it's one of the only ones that I have had any results with & can tolerate. I've been on the max. dose for 25 yrs. with Lexapro added in 2011. Doxepin does cause dry mouth, but compared to tardive dyskinesia, severe nausea, etc... when I tried other meds., I've stayed with Doxepin. Hope you find something that will work for you !

saved4good replied to Beetle56's response:
I was on depakote in the past too. GFor a while. I think I was o.k. Just did not help the depression. The problem is moving too much and changing doctors and they change the treatment. Hindsight they should have known that a move to another town is a major stressor and I was just probably going through an adjustment period. I am waiting on another doctor I am not taking the saphris though. Thank you. I tried depakote again and that is when I got sick and was not seen by doctor but quit the med. Now Np thinks i probably got liver toxic. No lab tests were done to show that though. Also, my reg. trusted psychiatrist died leaving no one to take over for him. I have been trying since 2009 to get straight. That is what I have been going through all this for. I know others who took depakoter and do well. God bless you. I can't take the elavil due to heart issues, I think.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

more to bipolar treatments
I'm bipolar and just went through what I could find in WebMD for this. I noticed a piece is missing. In addition to medication and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.