Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

New WebMD Resources for Depression! Breaking the Cycle
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Two new WebMD resources on the subject of depression -

Depression the Second Time Around
Warning Signs of Severe Depression
Therapy for Depression
Depression Relapse: What to Do First
Finding the Right Support Group
When Your Depression Treatment Isn't Working

Breaking the Depression Cycle
How Well Do You Function When Depressed?
Breaking the Vicious Cycle of Depression
Depression: Are You Honest With Your Doctor?
Understanding Depression Disguises
How to Manage Depression Triggers

After checking them out, come back and share your thoughts.

Demons2011 responded:
It's a fairly comprehensive and concise description of depression. Almost clinical. The section on recognizing triggers should be helpful to a large cross section of people. One thing not addressed in the reason people stop taking the medications. Cost. This family of drugs is pretty pricey. Right up there with heart medications, not as high as chemo-therapies. Chemo-therapy costs are a choice between maybe living an dying quicker.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Demons2011's response:
Hi Demons2011 -

Thanks for this, it is always nice to have feedback.

Yes, cost - you brought up a good point. I am shocked at the price of some medication

Elizabeth.

Jeune1 responded:
I wish I'd known some of this back in February. (Particularly signs and the thing about triggers.) I would have camped out on a therapist's doorstep until she took me in. I'm used to feeling somewhat depressed all of the time and really good at convincing myself that I'll get better. ("It's just a flesh wound!" as the Black Knight said.) And yes, I knew about relapses, but of course the thought of being severely depressed again was so scary I blamed it on the holidays/work/spouse/weather/anything else!

Regarding meds, susiemargaret posted this really great list of organizations that help with medical costs .

p.s. OK, I'm just going to say this. I majored in Psych. I still follow the subject and even read boring old studies for amusement. If you all had any idea how incompetent I am at applying all of the stuff I know to myself, you would laugh and laugh...

alaska_mommy replied to Jeune1's response:
Hi Jeune,
I did get a chuckle out of the "flesh wound" reference. Haha. I understand trying to just soldier on and pretend it isn't happening.
I did find it funny too what you said about not being able to apply it to you! I guess it makes me feel a little better about myself, I mean not to sound mean or anything, but if someone who majored in psych is struggling with it, maybe I'm not so much of a loser for not getting it either!

Anyway, we are all human, and we're all just doing the best we can. I think I am anyway...
Take care.

Jeune1 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
It doesn't sound mean at all. And it is a warning against the tricks your own mind will play on you if it means avoiding something scary. Another story: At one point I lived next to a very well-respected cardiologist. One day his wife told me he was in the hospital. She was disgusted because it turned out he'd had a heart condition for years that was getting steadily worse and he never sought treatment.

I understood completely. (But I didn't tell her that. Man, was she mad!)

onix32 responded:
The information that you posted is very usefull, but, still... what should we do when depression relapse? What should we do when we didn't know how to cope with this illness (through the years) and we don't know what is the line which makes a difference betwen the depression and our way of beeing (I know I will never be an extrovert person). Or, when the depression hides another problems and that's why is useless to treat the depression and it relapse.
The cost of medication and psyhoterapy is expensive, esspecialy in some areas of the world (where depression is considered a big lack of character). How could I pay for this if I don't work and not because I don't want to, but because of the humiliated social situation I've been through. I had 6 jobs in 6 years, but not the job itself was the problem but the social situation. It's been a year when I have no job (my family thinks that I don't want to work or I'm lazy). I'm on medication right know and I feel a little better, but I have no ideea what will happens torrow.
So, would you tell me how much is chemistry and how much is psycholgy?

alaska_mommy replied to Jeune1's response:
Jeune...that makes sense about the cardiologist. He probably had already diagnosed himself and decided it wasn't bad enough to require treatment, or that it was pointless to take medication, etc etc. Physician, heal thyself! Hah.
And yes, I think in many ways depression is a means of avoiding something scary. I think our brain can only take so much pain and anguish or suffering and then it just sort of turns off the emotions...numbs them...dulls them...to make it easier to bear. I know that's not the case for everyone. But I know for me there are unresolved issues I have that I am avoiding. Because I feel there are no answers for them, no way out. So it's better to hide than to face the music.

Onix--
I don't think anyone can tell you whether your depression is chemical or psychological or medical or what. Every person is unique and has unique circumstances. I think generally it's something that has to be talked over in length with a psychologist to get a better idea one way or the other. Sometimes we have an idea ourselves of what the cause is. But it's hard to know for sure.

designlady54 responded:
I have been severely depressed for many years, my first suicide attempt was at age 8, there have been more. I have been on more anti-depressants than I can name, none of which have worked. Currently I am in a very dark place, I am an artist and I "use" to love to do anything creative, I am a fashion designer and if you ask me to sew on a button I don't think I'd have the energy to do so. In fact, doing simple things is like having to lift a 100 lb lead weight, I am exhausted all the time, sleepy all the time but at night I find it hard to sleep but during the day I want to sleep all the time. I use to pray to God to ease my pain, now I pray that I just not wake up, EVER! Every part of my body hurts, I can't stand to be around people but hate to be alone, I could not cry if I wanted to because I am numb, I am tired of faking my feelings when I have to be around people. Frankly, I am just tired of everything, wish I could curl up in a ball and disappear.

alaska_mommy replied to designlady54's response:
Designlady, I hope you are getting some professional help. Are you in therapy? Are you taking any medications currently? Does your doctor/therapist have any new ideas for something you can try?
I'm sorry you're feeling so awful, no one should ever have to feel that way. Please keep posting whenever you feel like it, sometimes it helps to let it all out.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.