Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Recovery Stage?
runamok76 posted:
[TRIGGER] When I was 8 years old I was rape and did not report or seek help, and have been depressed ever since. When I was in my 20's I was date raped twice, I did not report it or seek help, and anxiety has been building ever since. In my 30's, I began trying self help therapy and saint johns wart, but I got side effect, I couldn't use certain products on my skin, and I couldn't have dairy, and my vagina was giving off a bad oder whenever I got nervous. After weeks of going to the gym 2-3 times a week and doing the eliptical for about 30 min each time just fine, one week I could only get through about 15 min and I started to see lights before my eyes, I was dizzy almost passed out, exteremely tired, and my head felt suffy. I started reading about Saint john's wart and saw that could be it so I stopped and all the symptoms went away, its been about a year and I still can't exercise or do much of anything. My family has a history of diabieties so I'm not sure if I'm sick, or if I'm on the recovery stage of my emotional healing. I am about 10 pounds heavier than before not being able to exercise. I do not have the money or transportation for medical help.

Take the Poll

If you ever tried saint john's wart did it effect your energy level?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

alaska_mommy responded:
I'm so sorry you have had those terrible things happen to you. I can't imagine having to deal with that. I hope you are getting some good counseling to work through that emotional pain.
I have never tried St. John's Wort before so I can't comment on that.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, R -

i'm so sorry that you've had such an erratic and unpredictable course of depression and other difficult stages of your life. everyday existence really is much harder than it needs to be, in my view.

at http://forums.webmd.com/3/depression-exchange/forum/6522 , there is a list of resources for finding free/low-cost medical care, including counseling (be sure to look at the tenth post also, which has a few corrections to the main list).

i know you said that you had no transportation, and i'm afraid i don't have any good ideas about that except that you might check with the county govt and see if they have some sort of van that takes people to their dr apptmts, shopping, etc. you might be able to arrange a schedule with that if you can plan far enough ahead. you might also check with your church for a support group that helps people get around; the area agency on aging and any nearby hospitals might also know of transportation services that are available.

it also occurs to me that you might look for CDs or DVDs with exercise programs on them; you could use these at home and modify the pace for your own comfort.

i'm not quite sure what else to advise you, but other readers may be able to contribute some additional ideas. i send you caring thoughts and hope that you will keep us posted on how you are doing.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.