Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello Members -

We want to make this community a healthy, safe place to share what's going on in our lives - the good, the bad, the ugly and the in-between.

We have the red Trigger feature available to use if a post is extremely disturbing, contains talk of suicide, self harm, abuse or dark, dark thoughts.

We have this available to alert others that may be in a sensitive or fragile state. It will alert you NOT to read this post if you are particularly fragile on this day.

Members can also trigger their own posts by writing "Trigger" in the title and then write something innocuous in the first line and then leaving some spaces between the first line and the rest of the post.

Sometimes we do not have the man/women power to read each and every post in a timely manner, so if you come across a post that is triggering you can also use the "Report This" feature to alert staff.

We also understand members here do have depression and having these thoughts can be part of the illness. While we want to support as best as we can there are times when we do have to hide a post. If specific or graphic mentions/descriptions of suicide or self harm are discussed, we will have to hide these to protect our community members and those who happen to browse through.

We always follow through with an email to the member to let them know we hid the post. If there is response we will sometimes include it. So, it will disappear from this end, but we do follow up behind the scenes.

Hope this is helpful to keep our community a safe, comfortable, supportive place to land.

The WebMD Staff

Chotti responded:
TRIGGER I am new here and have have to endure so many things one thing on top of another over a short period of time. I cannot seem to get out of this funk.

My Dr. Has me om Zoloft, not helping any more, my PCP want to increase it from 50 mg to 75.

Some of these things I refer to are traumatizing and most if discussed need RED TRIGGER involved to respect others.

thank you

izzy1000 responded:
Trigger
I am becoming increasingly depressed, and often want to be left alone, i hear my parents come downstairs and i become aggresive and angry that they are alive.
In the past i have fantasized about killing my family, and getting away with it or waking up one day and they have left me and i can get on with my life. I feel guilty but i cant shake these feelings off somedays, they wont let me use antideppressant and they leave me alone in my room when i experience these panic attacks where i have hysterics and scream uncontrolably, i cant see or hear anything some times when this happens, that when it gets really bad, i just feel so empty and unloved and like no one understands me properly, they just think im an idiot or im dramatic, and some times i feel like i dont even want to be helped, that i just want to stay unhappy forever.

rohvannyn replied to izzy1000's response:
Izzy, that isn't the real you. Antidepressants may not be the answer, but a qualified counselor might. Some of these feelings might be hormonal. It sounds like you are an adolescent. When I was that age, I had sudden bursts of unreasoning anger and depression. I grew out of it, but looking back on it, I see a counselor who could have given me coping skills would have really helped me. Maybe you can find someone who can help you. Some of these feelings may be stronger than most people feel them, and it is plain that they are disturbing to you. I want you to know there is a way out. You can make the choice to take charge of your own life. You don't have to be this way. If you don't know how to help yourself, that's fine... no one knows everything. But somebody does, and they can help you.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

What has helped me with my depression
I have always struggled with depression. After trying meds and therapy I have to say that I have finally found something that helps. This ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.