Skip to content


Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

I need help
wehavequestions posted:
I feel like I am always walking on egg shells. My husband has depression and goes to a GP. He will not go to a specialist nor will he go for therapy. Most of the time he sees things overwhelming.

He appeared to be okay until we adopted our daughter. Then the anger and rage began. I am very careful what I say because he can get angry and think I am against him. His attitude towards me is affecting our daughter. She thinks I am against her dad.

My husband sees himself as
being a perfect husband..yet, he will say, "I am depressed". There is nothing I can do because he will not let me give any information, nor can I receive any information from his doctor.

I am at my last rope because he is always so negative, critical of me and undermining me when disciplining our daughter.

Does anyone have some advise?
crisaw81 responded:
I suffer from depression and I am a mother and a wife, I know that for my mate has to be really difficult to know how to help me, to my daughter I say "mommy feels a little sick today" when I recognize I am not doing ok.
Your husband needs to get on the meds for sure, that will help him a lot to thnk right. Excercise as this website recommends also helps relieving stress and anger... if you wanna punch something have a punching bag at home.
In my case I need reassurance of how much my husband loves me, and how good I am, and hugs always work, I got this magazine too and it helped my relatives around me, maybe your husband can benefit from it as well...
itmatsb responded:
You cannot force your husband to take any steps to help his depression. Perhaps you should go to a therapist to sort out your options with the situation. You may have to set boundaries for your relationship which may include a trial separation for awhile. This may be the only way to get his attention. Or maybe both you and your daughter may be better off if the two of you are divorced. For your daughter to continually see anger and rage is not healthy at all. Good luck with your very difficult situation.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.