Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

CBT, Careful could trigger some. First Steps, still crawling.
Demons2011 posted:
Just got through the first module on another CBT course. Feelings.
Rated high to very high for depression: Ya'think!
Rated high to very high for anxiety: Ditto!

Identified 7 areas of warped thinking.
[br>
  • Things always go wrong for me
  • I'll never be able to do anything right
  • If only I could be a better person
  • I'm worthless, useless and inadequate
  • I always mess things up
  • I'm a fraud
  • I'm a failure.

Sound familiar to anyone? Still have plenty of work to do. Better try to get busy, now.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am sure this does sound familiar to most and this disease that you have, depression, may be what is controlling your thinking.

But here are my observations from reading posts and moderating this community -

• Members who pick each other up when things go wrong.
  • Able to do right for those around you when they are struggling.
  • We all should strive to be better.
  • Worthy, useful, more than adequate, helpful members helping each other.
  • We all mess up, it's how you recover that counts.
  • We all fail at something. I consider anyone who posts and is looking for help and improvement as succeeding.
I don't want to minimize what you or anyone else is feeling and I understand perception can be reality. But please know I see a different side of each and everyone one of you. I see you all as positive, helpful, caring, brilliant, intuitive, strong, creative, supportive, open, selfless.... this list goes on.

Elizabeth

alaska_mommy replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I second that, Elizabeth. Depression has a way of warping reality, warping our impressions of ourselves. Somehow we always see everyone else as better than us. But in reality we all have struggles, we all fail sometimes, we all have days where we fake it till we make it. D, you're not alone.

niteflier responded:
Hey D, sounds all too familiar. I am sorry you are feeling this way, but i am glad you are recognizing it and are getting 'busy' ...easier said than done I know.....
Hang in there
Sending more ((((hugs)))) your way.
(perhaps i need to get my book out again as well - thank you)
Niteflier

Perhaps the Animal Spirit is so great that one day it may inspire compassion in the human heart. Nan Sea Love

Anubis66 responded:
I am just starting a CBT program too. It's a book recommended by my therapist called "Mind Over Mood" by Dennis Greenberger and Christine A. Padesky. I'm only just getting started on it.

Demons2011 replied to Anubis66's response:
Anubis66, I have already done "The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression, William J. Knauss. Now working on line with the Moodgym. Free from Australia. The workbook has helped some in correcting some of my thinking about self, etc. Since medical costs have been brutal over the past 6 years, It's about all I can afford. I am seeing a therapist as well, so between the two I am hoping for some good things to come out of it.

totalyfedup responded:
Hi D,Is this a depression group that you are going to? I have done one for anxiety and depression. I still have a long way to go. Some thing that I have noticed, maybe not everyone but I tend to keep all the negative thoughts and hold on to them but never let the good ones in. Is that how you feel?

tfu
need support

Demons2011 replied to totalyfedup's response:
TFU, no just an on line course - self help all the way. That's me, stubborn mule. Trying same thing, looking for different results. That's a definition of insanity isn't it? As far as keeping the negatives inside, yes that's what I do. Not facings and correcting issues that need resolved. Also tend to have some thinking issues, on how I look at things. Like positives aren't positives. They are just roses covered in thorns, know what I mean? Time to get my bottom in gear and go to work. Guessing I should shower and such - less offensive that way.

chez1 responded:
Hi D,
oh how familiar are these thoughts, for me the bottom four are often at the forefront of my thoughts, along with some other pretty out there thoughts!!
I get the concept of CBT and believe that it works if you commit to it, as with any therapy, there is no point going at it have hearted.
CBT is not a good method for me as my reasoning is better than the counter arguments!! (a little bit of stubborn attitude)
I have to say I do understand that it is depression that causes these thoughts and it is about rebooting our brains to re-think!!
Good luck with the online work and remember to share your progress.
Hugs with well wishes
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily....... Zig Ziglar

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.