Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Too much introspection
Demons2011 posted:
Peeking around the corner, seeing who's in the room. Feeling kind of bashful. I allowed emotional side of CBT and discussion(s) with older sister to weigh me down. We are trying to rebuild a relationship which has been pretty distant. So I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I want out of the relationship. Frankly, don't know. That leaves me fairly torn at the core. She has expectations, and anger. Neither which surprise me. Just torn on what I am and what I want.

itmatsb responded:
Would need more details about your relationship with your sister to provide help--if you want to share it.

Also, I see CBT on this site, but I can't figure out what it means. So sorry. Somebody help me with the term CBT.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to itmatsb's response:
Hi Demons - Glad to see you peeking, so sorry this has been so emotionally draining for you. Sending you strength to get through this.

itmatsb - Here is a link for - Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Thanks for asking about this.

Elizabeth

alaska_mommy responded:
D--
Sounds like you have a lot of things going on right now. Why feeling bashful? You have your priorities in order, you're taking care of yourself first. And right now that's what's important. Don't be afraid to acknowledge how you really feel about your relationship with your sister. I am sure stuff like that is messy! Relationships always are!
Hope you take good care and see you around.
Joy

Demons2011 replied to itmatsb's response:
itmatsb, It stands for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. CBT is a therapy method, of recognizing your thoughts, triggers and reorganizing them in a realistic method. Example: I feel completely worthless. Then countering those thoughts with, People like me, respect the tasks I perform. Other people seek my advice and listen when I speak. Therefore I am not worthless. Of course there is one heck of a lot more to it.

Demons2011 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Elizabeth.

Demons2011 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
For letting it get me down like this. I darn well know better.

chez1 replied to Demons2011's response:
Hi D, good to see you about, sorry you are having such a hard time of it but well done on getting to where you are, I know you will manage right the way through
here's some scottish hugs to help you
Chez x
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily....... Zig Ziglar

totalyfedup responded:
Hi D, If you don't mind me asking what happend between you and your Sister. Who is the one that wanted to try and rebuild a relationship? Can you let me know how you are going about it. This is a hard topic for me too, I have two Sisters and both of them as I say, jumped ship when all this started with me. I have tried to reach out to them but they don't want anything to do with me. And I was very close to one of them we were best friends too. So now when people ask if I have any Sisters or Brothers (oh ya have 3 of them too) I say no, it is just easier for me to say that instead of getting in to it.
Sorry I kind of rambled a bit.

tfu
need support

itmatsb responded:
Thanks, yes I am very aware of what cognitive behavioral therapy is, just couldn't place the acronym with the term. If you want any specific advice to deal with, "Just torn on what I am and what I want.", we'll need more details. Wishing you all the best.

niteflier responded:
Hey D, I hope you are feeling better now and you mind becomes clearer with each day. Relationships are hard, especially when they are not without judgement. if only humans could learn from the smart animals (i.e. wiley) how to love and be supportive unconditionally - no judgement, no expectations, no anger - just unconditional love - wouldnt that be a kick in the pants. thought i would share another picture i am working on - still needs work, but it is something i enjoy. even picked up my guitar 3 days in a row - my fingers have blisters - cant wait to get calouses back...lol.
hang in there D, sending lots of love and hugs your way. post when you are up to it. I will try to do the same.

Niteflier

Perhaps the Animal Spirit is so great that one day it may inspire compassion in the human heart. Nan Sea Love

alaska_mommy replied to niteflier's response:
Hey NF, is your picture something we can all see? I would love to see more of your art but only can see the one photo you have in your profile picture.
Hope you are doing ok!

D, no need to feel sheepish, we all get sucked into this thing from time to time and there's nothing wrong with falling down from time to time...just dust off and go on again. Although I know that's easier said than done. But don't feel bad.

niteflier replied to alaska_mommy's response:
Hey AK Mommy, I thought so, but not sure now.
I hope you had a good day. long day here - too many negative thoughts - too many others helping to expand the negative thoughts (family). i'm tired -now wish i could take back the scars - only to avoid questions.......
thanks for asking about the pic, I hope it has been corrected and you can now see the picture. talk to you tomorrow.
((((Hugs))))
Niteflier

Perhaps the Animal Spirit is so great that one day it may inspire compassion in the human heart. Nan Sea Love

alaska_mommy replied to niteflier's response:
Hi NF,
((hugs)) to you, sounds like you need it right now. I'm sorry you have so many things on your mind right now with what happened. I wish you would think of yourself in a better light than you probably are painting yourself. I think you are putting yourself in the place of scapegoat for everyone else's anger, and that's not fair to you. Hang in there, and I hope it gets easier.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

more to bipolar treatments
I'm bipolar and just went through what I could find in WebMD for this. I noticed a piece is missing. In addition to medication and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.